B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This!

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This! #1  

Jackrabbit_Slim

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710
B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can\'t Believe This!

Was doing some hoe work this morning, stepped down to do some work on the ground and noticed a pretty fair flow of fluid running out from the belly just behind the rear cross member of the loader frame.

Shut things down and discovered that the line on the right hand side coming from (going to?) the transmission cooler had been rubbing on the rear cross member of the loader frame just ahead of the pipe joint to the point that it had worn a hole in the tube.

Had to take the battery tray off to get the tube out from the front end and while I was cleaning the tops of the loader frame cross members, I discovered (unless this is a Kubota design feature) a groove worn into the plate where the tube had been rubbing on it.

I'm a little cranky over this. We're talking a tractor I bought used a few months ago that only has 275 hours on it.

No idea how much fluid I lost, as there's no point in refilling until I've got the problem repaired. Anybody else ever have this problem or observations?

Slim

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This! #2  
Re: B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can\'t Believe This!

I have just under 500 hours on my B2910 that I took delivery on in July, 2002.

No, I have not had the problem you have.

I did lose a hose on my backhoe, which developed a hole in it for unknown reasons.

Anyway, my thought when reading your post was, well, it is just a hose. Replace it, secure it so it does not rub a hole in itself a second time, and be happy... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This!

Oh, I'll cheer up. I'm a little out of sorts because I can't get the part 'til Monday and with winter coming it's going to put me behind.

I did find a place I can hang a sling from, and if I have to I will.

Both pieces of pipe on this particular line have lots of bends in them, and I think what I really need to do is take the rear one off and make the bend under the tractor a little tighter to lift things up a little higher. It was getting dark by the time I got the holed pipe off and I couldn't really see where the rear line connects. My course of action will depend on whether or not I have to take the rear wheel off to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slim

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This! #4  

If a hose or metal line rubs against something simply get a small piece of heater hose the correct diameter and use is as a protective wrap. I have done this several times where hoses rub against the frame. Works like a champ. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This! #5  

This won't help you right now with the hole already in the line. But a quick field repair for hose/line safety is to zip a fat tie wrap at the point where the rubbing is occurring--let the tie wrap take the abuse. Sometimes, you need to apply a second tie wrap to hold the two friction points together--make sure no other wear points pop up.

This will do until you can get a piece of heater hose like Mad suggests. The heater hose "insulation" is the correct solution in the end. Open up hood on one of your cars and you'll likely see one of these as a factory installation.

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This! #6  

I also agree with using a rubber hose 'sleave'.. and also stabilizing the vibrating or rubbing line. Vibration is hell on rigid metal lines.

Soundguy

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This!

Just on my way to town for parts. Hoping to get this done before it rains. It looks like we're in for a week of the stuff, and I don't fancy rolling around in the mud.

I agree with the need to sleeve this pipe, and I think I'm going to rig a sling to make sure it stays up and off the loader frame.

When I was in town ordering the part, I was discussing this with the salesman at the dealership. He couldn't quite understand what I was talking about, and we went out to a new B7800 in the yard so I could show him. Got looking underneath and found the same problem. The line was sitting on the loader frame. He assured me he'd bring this up with the mechanic and see what he had to say about it. I'm curious. Design flaw? Poor assembly?

Slim

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This! #8  

I wouldn't think it is critical enough to be called a design flaw.. but deffinately a design inadequacy to be sure. And one that needs a revision.. or service bulletin to correct.. and some sort of sleeve or bushing to be retrofit to 'correct'.

Soundguy

/ B2710 Hydraulic Leak... I Can't Believe This! #9  

why not just braze it, i have brazed plenty of hydraulic tubes and have had only one that failed, and actualy when it failed it was from a bracket not being bolted on allowing the tube to get pulled outa place, i would braze it and be done with it, no big deal at all