prepping hydraulic connections

/ prepping hydraulic connections #1  

44trxfun

Gold Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
Like many others here, I just developed some leaking around the threads where my quick-connect couplers attach to the hydraulic hose. I called my service guy and he said to reseal the threads with teflon paste.

Did so. But, I'm wondering if I screwed up. I applied the paste to the length of the male threads and not just to the upper portion where the connection was likely to tighten.

The more I think about it (my curse I guess), the more I wonder if I shouldn't have just applied it to the top. Now I'm concerned about a piece of the paste coming off and getting lodged in the hydraulic system somewhere.

Good news is that I haven't reattached the hoses to the ports yet, so I could take it off and redo (even replacing couplers, if necessary).

Any advice?

Thanks.

/ prepping hydraulic connections #2  
I apply the teflon to the end of the threads (as I understand you did), as that is where it engages the female threads. I just make sure that there are no loose 'ends' that hang over the end. I think the tip is the most important, but there may be technical information that I am not aware of too.

/ prepping hydraulic connections #3  
If you used the Teflon paste instead of the tape you shouldn't have a problem. Unless the connection leaks oil I whould't take it back apart and contamination of the hydraulic oil is highly unlikely.

/ prepping hydraulic connections #4  
i don't think you will have a problem. if it still leaks , take it apart, clean it up real good and get yourself some LEAK LOCK, that should do the trick.

/ prepping hydraulic connections #5  
Frank Leak Lock is a favorite of mine also. I used it quite a bit on threaded refrigerant connections like expansion valves in my younger years when I did HVAC work. I still use it today for tractor maintenance, it's good stuff.

/ prepping hydraulic connections #6  
Leak Lock? What be this Leak Lock? Where do I get this at? I'm still trying to 'minimize' the fitting leaks on my dirt digger.

/ prepping hydraulic connections #7  
If you have NPTF fittings that depend on the threads crushing together to make the seal then you must limit the number of times you assemble and disassemble the fittings. After a few assemble/disassemble cycles the fitting will probably leak. Most of the time teflon paste will help make a good seal. If it still leaks then replace the fittings.

/ prepping hydraulic connections #9  
Don't worry about it. That's why you were told to use paste and not tape. If some of the paste gets into the fluid it dissolves and harms nothing.

/ prepping hydraulic connections
The connection held just fine with the teflon paste, and so far no hiccups with the hydraulics. Thanks for the reassurance.