Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF GC2300

Default prepping hydraulic connections

Like many others here, I just developed some leaking around the threads where my quick-connect couplers attach to the hydraulic hose. I called my service guy and he said to reseal the threads with teflon paste.

Did so. But, I'm wondering if I screwed up. I applied the paste to the length of the male threads and not just to the upper portion where the connection was likely to tighten.

The more I think about it (my curse I guess), the more I wonder if I shouldn't have just applied it to the top. Now I'm concerned about a piece of the paste coming off and getting lodged in the hydraulic system somewhere.

Good news is that I haven't reattached the hoses to the ports yet, so I could take it off and redo (even replacing couplers, if necessary).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: prepping hydraulic connections

I apply the teflon to the end of the threads (as I understand you did), as that is where it engages the female threads. I just make sure that there are no loose 'ends' that hang over the end. I think the tip is the most important, but there may be technical information that I am not aware of too.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

If you used the Teflon paste instead of the tape you shouldn't have a problem. Unless the connection leaks oil I whould't take it back apart and contamination of the hydraulic oil is highly unlikely.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

i don't think you will have a problem. if it still leaks , take it apart, clean it up real good and get yourself some LEAK LOCK, that should do the trick.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Frank Leak Lock is a favorite of mine also. I used it quite a bit on threaded refrigerant connections like expansion valves in my younger years when I did HVAC work. I still use it today for tractor maintenance, it's good stuff.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Bolens HT-20

Leak Lock? What be this Leak Lock? Where do I get this at? I'm still trying to 'minimize' the fitting leaks on my dirt digger.

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace

Tractor
    Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader

If you have NPTF fittings that depend on the threads crushing together to make the seal then you must limit the number of times you assemble and disassemble the fittings. After a few assemble/disassemble cycles the fitting will probably leak. Most of the time teflon paste will help make a good seal. If it still leaks then replace the fittings.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

All about Leak Lock click here

Tractor
    NH TC-33D

Don't worry about it. That's why you were told to use paste and not tape. If some of the paste gets into the fluid it dissolves and harms nothing.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF GC2300

The connection held just fine with the teflon paste, and so far no hiccups with the hydraulics. Thanks for the reassurance.