What's that hydraulic hose covering fabric stuff?

/ What's that hydraulic hose covering fabric stuff? #1  

adlertom

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33DA hydro w/supersteer
What\'s that hydraulic hose covering fabric stuff?

What is that tubular burlap-like fabric material used to surround and protect hydraulic hose called?

My dealer wants $2.25 a foot for the stuff /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Is there something special about it that makes it so pricey? Can I find it cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks,

Tom

/ What's that hydraulic hose covering fabric stuff? #2  
Re: What\'s that hydraulic hose covering fabric stuff?

How much do you need? Most people only need a few feet, the total doesn't run very much $$$.

Discount Hydraulic Hose calls it Nylon Abrasion Sleeving, and can be found on their web site under Sleeving. The Nylon Abrasion Sleeving is the third type listed.

Internal diameter 0.76" $0.94
up to
Internal diameter 3.70" $3.61 per lineal foot.

McMaster-Carr calls that material "Woven Nylon Fabric Sleeving". They carry several sizes, the largest size is 5.8" (flat width) for $4.30 a foot.

I don't know about either company's minimum order requirements or shipping costs.

/ What's that hydraulic hose covering fabric stuff? #3  

I ordered some of that sleeving a few weeks ago from Discount Hydraulic Hose and I give them high marks. It arrived either the next day or the day after...they are located close though, at the other end of the state.

They do not have all the sizes listed on their web site, at least not all the time. I wanted some of the larger stuff, and it was not available.

Can't judge any vendor by one order alone, but so far I am satisfied...probably be ordering more from them soon...

/ What's that hydraulic hose covering fabric stuff? #4  

If you are having hoses made up, they can install this on the hose before the fittings are installed. The purpose of this material is to keep the hose from wearing through when it comes in contact with an object, but more important that that, it protects the operator from hydraulic fluid if the hose should develop a pin hole leak. Kubota installed it on the backhoe lines on my BX and a few of the others also. Don't remember exactly which ones now........ Junk..

/ What's that hydraulic hose covering fabric stuff? #5  

My hydraulics guy has the mesh material and also has a plastic material coiled like a telephone cord that just wraps around the hose. That seemed like a good idea to me.