Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
I have two additional sets of hydraulic quick disconnects on my FEL for the operation of either the grapple or tree shear when monted on the FEL. They are mounted with the female open end up. I needed to dismount the FEL recently to do the 50 hour service on my Kubota L3130HST. I could not pull the QD's apart and had to use my "pickle fork" tie rod separator to pry them apart because of dust and water that had collected there.

Does anyone know of a "rubber" shield that would fit on the male part of the QD's and prevent dust and water from getting in when mated?

Vernon

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects #2  
If nothing like that is available, you might make something functional out of a piece of a bicycle inner tube...

Just a thought... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects #3  
Hi Vernon,
How about cutting a couple of fingers out of a pair of rubber gloves and pull it over after coupling. I use "fingers" on my FEL ports, seems to work pretty well.
Good luck,
Curt

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects #4  
Any Hydraulic repair shop or supply store will have these. I have them for all male QD hose ends (caps) and for the female QD's (plugs) on the spool valve. Cost for each is about $1.50 for 1/4" and $2.50 for 3/8".

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects #5  
Tractor Supply Co (TSC) has these covers in stock most of the time. They have a rubber tether/ring to act as a keeper, so they don't get lost when you are using the QD. They come in 3 colors, too--red, green and black, so you can "color code" your QDs if you wish.

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects
Clarification: My QD's are mounted in pairs in a block so I cannot pull a sleeve over a mated set.

It is while they are mated that I need a special cover. I have the standard covers for when they are separated. Basically what I am looking for is a large "rubber" washer that will fit on the male and cover the female when mated.

Henro - using your idea as a start, I guess I can cut such washers out of an old inner tube or some suitable sheet stock.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Vernon

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( hey are mounted with the female open end up. I needed to dismount the FEL recently to do the 50 hour service on my Kubota L3130HST. I could not pull the QD's apart and had to use my "pickle fork" tie rod separator to pry them apart because of dust and water that had collected there. )</font>

Why not just swap the female and male ends around so that the females are mounted open-end down ? The FEL QD's on my B2910 are mounted with the female ends on the loader valve (and pointing upward) and the males on the FEL hoses themselves (pointing down) - I have thought more than once about swapping them around. Any reason not to ?

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects
rswyan

I thought about that because that is the way the QD's are set up on the L3130 and LA723 loader. I would have to have the ends changed on one set of hoses and make a mounting plate to hold the male ends.

The present arrangement uses standard Kubota parts.

Vernon

/ Needed: rain/dust shield for hydraulic disconnects #9  
How about a couple of shifter boots? Put them on the male side with the "boot" down over the female