Hydraulic cylinder repair?

/ Hydraulic cylinder repair? #1  

JD3130

Bronze Member
One of the long 38" cylinders on my 148 JD loader has started leaking pretty bad. Is this something that can be fixed by just replacing the seals. I have no way of honing a cyl that long. I just wondered if is always necessary to redo the whole cyl? thanks

/ Hydraulic cylinder repair? #2  
should be a matter of replacing the packing in the cylinder.

if you gonna do it yourself, try and find a place that carries aftermarket seals and packing, they will be much cheaper then the dealer, and will work just as good.

/ Hydraulic cylinder repair? #3  
I rebuilt the cyliner on my vehicle lift myself. The cost was $23 for the parts. This cylider is over 6 ft long.

I made a spanner to turn the plug. You turn it until the wire keeper shows. Then turn clockwise as you are facing it and the wire will come out the hole. Keepthe wire as it is reused. I then had to hook up the hyd line to use fluidpressure to push the plug out. Don't worry, it will not explode oou to the cyl, it will just slowly come out. After replacing the seals and using steel wool on the shaft, I used the tractor to push the shaft in. I then place two blocks of wood on the ground against my lift and place the end of the rod between them. When the plug contacted the wood, it pushed the plug in. Make sure you use grease on everything. It will not harm the seals. You then place the bent end of the wire in the hole on the plug that shows through the slot. You will know what I mean by taking it apart. Use the spanner that you made to rotate the plug counterclockwise and it will pull the wire into the groove. If you sued plenty of grease, it will rotate very easily.

If your cylinder is built differently, then don't follow these directions. I assume no responsibility for any damage or injury sustained during this proceedure.

Ron

/ Hydraulic cylinder repair? #4  
no way to hone the cylinder? what we always used was just a simple engine cylinder hone with a long extension shaft i made from a piece of 3/4 rod, chuck it in the drill and hone away, altho honing isnt always neccesary anyhow, usualy only on cylinders that got water in them, in your case i wouldnt worry about it, just do the seals, most likely ya will need to make a big spanner wrench, but thats easy, just takes a little time

/ Hydraulic cylinder repair?
Thanks, guess I'll give it a try. Next warm day we get.

/ Hydraulic cylinder repair? #6  
warm day, ya might have to wait till spring the way things are going around here!! but seriously have fun, take the time to make a simple wrench and have at it