Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends???

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
Hi,

As some of you know my quest to install a homebrew T&T setup on my tractor hit a snag when I was charged for seventeen hoses I orderd, but the hoses were never shipped by the vendor...leaving me in a limbo situation.

That situation is still not resolved, but I am ready to order what I need from someone else now.

I am thinking it may be to my advantage to order the hose in one piece, and cut off what I need for each hose, and screw on the reusable hose ends that the supplier offers for use with this R2 hose (2 wire hose).

The reason this might be best in my case is that I have mounted my 4-section control valve up on my ROPS and I think I could make a neater installation if I make each hose up one at a time myself, to whatever lenght I find I need. I did estimate the hose length initially, and could order pre-made hoses as I did the first, unsuccessful time. The disadvantage of vendor-made hoses would be having excess hose to deal with, as I tried to be sure I added a little extra to each hose so they would not end up too short.

I just don't have any experience with reusable hydraulic hose ends.

You guys that have used them, have they performed well for you? Would you use them again? Price difference I estimate to be about $6 or $7 per hose, over having hoses made up with crimped on ends.

Will I regret going with the reusable ends? I can afford to spend the extra $130 or so it will cost me, but don't want to spend more and end up with less when it is all over... less meaning leaks or some kind of poor performance that I did not see in advance...

Any and all avice will be greatly appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #2  
Henro,

I'd go find a place that makes/sells hydraulic hose. Farmers use them all the time. I think you would be much happier over time with having professional made hoses.

The DIY type deals might leak or break and would get your tractors dirty.

Probably would cost a few $$ more, but should be worth it. If the place is close, you could get them to hand you a length of hose and you could custom fit each one, mark it, and have them make it for you.

That's the way I'd go. Or haul your baby to the place and do it in their parking lot on a slow day (for them). Heck, they'd be out there making sure you did it RIGHT.

Ron

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #3  
Henro
I have used reusable and crimped. The reusable ones are great to make a quick fix or modification to a hose. They are reliable and easy to use. Just need a good heavy duty vise, mounted solidly.
The down side to reusable is their size. Crimped ends are more compact. Crimped can have just about any end that will fit whatever they are attaching to.
My preference is to use crimped whenever possible. But use reusable to make repairs or modifications.

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #4  
Henro - have you considered trying to find a mobile hose vendor? A lot of guys gave the equipment mounted to a truck, and will come to your site and make up the hoses to custom fit your application. They are probably a little more money, but you do get that custom fit you're looking for.

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #5  
My hydraulic repair guy only uses these fittings in the field for temporary emergencies. The will not stand up to continual vibration and hard work. They also have a tendency to leak if not done right. They are not designed to be permanent.

If I were you, I would buy bulk hose and standard crimp on fittings. Then measure and cut your hoses. Then find a hydraulic shop or tractor dealer or NAPA store that will crimp the hose/fittings properly. They will charge a slight fee but it will be WAY better than spending $130 extra for fittings that will prove to be unreliable after some use.

The Pittsburgh area has to have several, if not dozens, of hydraulic shops or tractor dealers or NAPA stores that can do this work. I know, because I grew up in Monroeville.

Sometimes the internet is not the most efficient place to get things.

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #6  
At work we have hose made for us ( and assemble some ourselves) that have reusable ends. I can't say we never had a problem with a hose, but I don't remember any. We make Diesel fuel injection pump test stands and injector test equipment.

The outer fitting screws over the hose by turning counterclockwise. Do not jam the hose all the way in, leave a gap of 1/32 to 1/16. You can mark the hose where it meets the fitting. This will let you know if the hose gets pushed out of the fitting at the next step. Chuck the fitting and hose in a vise. Lubricate the male threads of the part that threads into the ID of the hose. They sell special lube, but light grease or 30wt motor oil will work just as well. Tighten until the insert bottoms out, you don't need crank it humungously tight. It should thread in smoothly, without tearing the hose. Inspect inside and out for any irregularities and you should have no problems.

I live in southern Armsrtong County, so we must not live that far apart.

Mike

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #7  
Henro, buy bulk hose, cut it up to needed length, keeping in mind that the pressure side have tendency to shrink so allow for it. Find in local yellow pages, hydraulic repair/service shop and ask them to install crimp fittings of the size that you want it. You may be able to buy those fittings over the internet..... but I would make(cut ) my own hoses. My2¢

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #8  
Henro if you have a NAPA dealer near you check with them. Most of them in this area will put fittings on the ends of my hydraulic hose for less than 5 bucks parts and labor included. They are high on the hose itself so I would find out which size hose fits their connectors and buy the hose bulk from someone who is more reasonable. Then have NAPA put on the compressed ends as they will hold up better.

I get hosed at NAPA and I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #9  
i have used the reusable ends many times, both at home and also when i was doing mechanic work for a local company, they are just as reliable and rated to just as high of pressure as the crimped ones, that is as long as you buy the right ones for your hose type, and that you install them properly which takes good deal of force, rubber lubricant helps alot here, but once installed i have never had a failure of a hose that was related to the fitting. what i often do is buy the hoses from tsc since often they are cheaper than bulk hose and have ends on them already, say i need two hoses that are 4ft, or a 3ft and a 5ft etc, i buy an 8ft hose and cut it and install my reusable fittings on the ends that i cut, that way i have the crimped ones on one end already, they fit nicer into tight areas often, and then i can put whatever style fitting i need on the other end, often an odd one that would require an adapter if i used a pipe thread end like comes on the tsc hoses. just an idea to look into henro, good luck on your project

/ Reusable Hydraulic Hose Ends??? #10  
henro,
I have used the re-usable fittings many times, especially on my skidsteer, higher psi than tractor and on the bucket end thay get alot of movement and abuse. I never have had a fitting failure and their convieniece is great, too many trips back to the auto shop for re-do's. They are larger as posted earlier, try www.imperialinc.com, i get my stuff within two days and it is high quality. good luck glenn.