Hydraulic hose cracks

/ Hydraulic hose cracks #1  

Mansker

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC 33D / ford NNA
I have a new-to-me, 2001 NH TC33D with a 7308 Fel, Today I noticed small cracks in the top hydraulic lines,They seem to only be on the bends on the top of the loader arms that lift the bucket right before they enter the metal hose fittings, I don't see any others. How long do Hyd. hoses last? Do they leak before they blow?

/ Hydraulic hose cracks #2  
If the tractor was brand new it shouldn't be tolerated. If the tractor is used and weathered it might be normal even though it makes it one less layer of material to protect the hose and may technically be considered damaged and not useable. I've used hoses that were cracked, chaffed and damaged and they lasted more than 20 years. I DONT RECOMEND ANYONE USING CRACKED DAMAGED OR CHAFFED HOSES.. THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED.... The rubber protects the outer metal braid from abrasion, moisture, damage in general. That outer braid of metal protects the inner cores of rubber and metal. A hose is only as good as the material used and the WORKMANSHIP used to assemble it. HYDRAULIC HOSES CAN FAIL AT ANY TIME AND SHOULD NOT BE USED BEYOND THE RECOMENDED PRESSURES.. Most times they will leak at a point of damage or wear before they blow. BUT, some hoses can blow without leaking or warning! I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hydraulic hose cracks #3  
Superficial cracks on the rubber covering are harmless on lines that new. I spray my hoses with a rubber conditioner to keep 'em soft and help protect from UV, still if left out in the elements cracking is gonna happen.

/ Hydraulic hose cracks #4  
The outer rubber jacket protects the inner woven metal jacket that protects the inner rubber hose.

My old Kubota was missing some strips of the outer rubber several inches long.

If you want to re-protect (is that a real word?) then you could wrap them with electricians rubber tape. You can buy it at Lowe's. It is a rubber tape with a plastic liner that you pull off as you unroll it. They make it in "linerless" but I would recommend the Scotch brand with the liner.

It stretches a lot. As you apply it you need to stretch it about 25% to 50% in length and overlap it by 50%. Probably be best to put 2 layers. It vulcanizes into itself and after it has been on a few days you cannot unwrap it, it becomes one solid piece. It stays flexible for years.

BTW, if you ever suspect a leak do NOT use your hand to try to find it. High pressure hydraulic fluid can penetrate your skin and has to be removed in an emergency room. It is very dangerous. Use a piece of wood or cardboard to look for leaks.

Bill Tolle

/ Hydraulic hose cracks
Thanks Guy's
I think I'll try Bill's tape trick and then reposition the nylon protective sleeve over that! I'll feel safer that way!

/ Hydraulic hose cracks #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ....I spray my hoses with a rubber conditioner to keep 'em soft and help protect from UV....)</font>

What do you use? Gerard

/ Hydraulic hose cracks #7  
<font color="blue"> What do you use? Gerard </font>

<font color="black"> </font> Gerard- I use Armoral on all my hyd lines, rubber boots, seats, etc. Sunlight is the real killer and it seems to help. The original seat on my 11 yr old riding mower is still like new. I guess I tend to baby my tractors a little, even keep the paint waxed, but what the heck it keeps 'em looking nice.