Converting hydraulic brakes to electric???

/ Converting hydraulic brakes to electric??? #1  

Scozz

Silver Member
Tractor
Kama 454 w/Kokyer 195 loader
Doe anyone know if it is possible to convert conventional brakes (a mason dump drum brakes) to function with electric for use on a trailer? I'm putting together the inventory for a dump trailer. I have a 1.5 ton Army trailer the I want to use but it has 26" tires on it. They are too tall .. I have a dually rear from an old mason dump that would work great if could manage to get the breaks to function. Is there a kit with an electric kit with a master cylinder avalable for conversion? ...Scozz

/ Converting hydraulic brakes to electric??? #2  
I don't know of a conversion of any sort. Electric trailer brakes do not use a master cylinder, they are actuated with an electromagnet inside the brake drum. Some parts may look similar but few would be interchangeable with a hydraulic drum brake. Check out complete electric brake assemblies through Northern Hydraulics or similar. They aren't all that expensive and you may save some headaches /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Converting hydraulic brakes to electric??? #3  
Scozz, consider using a surge hitch with hydraulic master cyl.
This would a lot less work and money then going with electric brakes.

george

/ Converting hydraulic brakes to electric??? #4  
There are electric over hydraulic kits out there (essentially a electrically activated master cylinder that is located on the trailer). I used to have links to a couple of sites that sold them but I cannot seem to find them right now. I'm sure a search of the web would turn up something.
I've seen it done with air over hydraulic (brake chamber activating a master cylinder) but have no idea how well the electric ones work.

/ Converting hydraulic brakes to electric??? #5  
I wonder how well you could maintain brake pressure.. or control of it. I know on the true e-systems.. you have good control of braking. Surge even has some control, based on the surge hitch movement. Seems like the air over, and electric over- models would be all or none.. right? I guess you might have soem brake lockups.. or you'd have to adjust them alot... HMmm.. Glad I have e-brakes.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ Converting hydraulic brakes to electric???
George thanks for the info I did some research on surge brakes today looks like titan (model 10 ) will work perfectly for my project, just have to use a solenoid to permit backing up ... Scozz

/ Converting hydraulic brakes to electric??? #7  
I have a system called trailer braker on my 20ft flat bed with two 3/4 ton axles under it. This system uses an electric brake controller to run an electric motor driven hydraulic pump that works the brakes. when the pump quits the brakes release. Larry

/ Converting hydraulic brakes to electric??? #8  
If it's a trailer brake axle with surge hydraulic brakes the change over is reasonable and easy.

All it requires is to change out the backing plates with the shoes.

And it goes both ways. If you have electric brakes you can change out the backing plates to the hydraulic ones, run new brake lines, and hook up a surge brake controller.

It's nothing but a thing. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif