changed the hydraulic filter but it is leaking

/ changed the hydraulic filter but it is leaking #1  

Bjohn

Tractor
JD955
I changed the hydraulic oil filter. The manual said to fill the filter 1/3 of the way full, I did this and noticed the dipstick was reading over full by a bit. I used the tractor a couple times and it is leaking oil around the housing where you connect the oil filter. I tightened the filter twice but it is still leaking after I use the tractor. I don't know if I should keep tightening the oil filter or not I know it is already tighter than the manual suggests. Any suggestions? It is a 955 and I corrected the overfull problem already by draining a bit.

/ changed the hydraulic filter but it is leaking #2  
I know you said you put oil in the filter, but did you rub a coating of oil on the filter gasket before installing? This is an important step. You should tighten the filter down until you feel the resistance of hitting bottom, and then about 1/2-3/4 turn further. If you tighten it too much, you can disfigure the gasket and have leaks.
Take the filter off and examine the gasket inside. You'll lose some oil, but not too much, maybe 1 quart at best. If the gasket looks okay, ensure that the fitting it screws onto is not the source of the leak. If all looks okay, reinstall the filter without going too tight, wipe all excess oil from around the filter and start up the tractor. Run it until it is good an warmed up and then check again for leaks.
If it seems to be leaking again. Turn it no more than 1/2 turn again, clean, repeat steps. If it continues to leak I would suspect that the filter is not truly seating, from deformity or other MFG problem. Replace it with another filter.. John

/ changed the hydraulic filter but it is leaking #3  
John.

Are you sure the old gasket is off? If the old gasket is still on plus you added the new gaket, it will leak. Check the old fitler if you have it and see if the gasket is still on the filter.

/ changed the hydraulic filter but it is leaking #4  
I suggest you get another filter. You can try removing the one installed and lubricating the gasket, but if if's been deformed (by over-tightening) or just defective, it would be prudent to have another one one hand.

/ changed the hydraulic filter but it is leaking #5  
Ha! That happened on my Wfe's T-bird many moons ago! Did the job myself and was surprised when the oil light came on! I **KNOW** I put oil in there. Saw it pumping past the filter base. Nursed it back home and found the old gasket stuck to the block!!