Possible hydraulic cylinder problem.

/ Possible hydraulic cylinder problem. #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
I bought a 54" front blade for my JD 4100 at an auction to try to save some money, but it has turned on to be a bit of a nightmare.

I talked about it in a post under attachments and this project has taken a life of it's own.

I got all of the important parts and modified some others to make it "work" but now that I have it all together another problem has reared it's ugly head.

It appears as though I have one of two possibilities. A bad cylinder or one that is incorrect for the application. Let me explain.

The angling cylinder is working just like it should - moves the blade left and right. The lift cylinder only pushes the blade down!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I cannot lift the blade off of the ground. I've switched the hoses to reverse the fluid flow and that has not helped. The cylinder is installed correctly and cannot be reversed. Another interesting issue is that one of the new quick connect male connects does not seem to work properly. However, once the lines are connected I would think that the fluid is flowing as it should. I've cycled the cylinders a few times to purge the air. And I also placed a floor jack under the blade's frame to force the cylinder in the lift position hoping that any trapped air may be forced out.

Anyway, I'm at a loss as to figuring this out. Oh yes, I've looked up the parts under JDParts and they do not have any specifications for the cylinder using the current part number.

Any ideas???? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Terry

/ Possible hydraulic cylinder problem. #2  
When you try to lift the blade, does the tractor sound like it is trying? Is it goeing into relif mode?
Is the QD you sppek of on the lift circuit?

/ Possible hydraulic cylinder problem.
Kennyd,

Yes, the tractor is definitely trying to lift the blade. The cylinder moves slightly but does not lift the blade and the quick connects are color coded to the correct connections. JDParts helped on that part.

Terry

/ Possible hydraulic cylinder problem. #4  
Is there enough hose to swap angle and lift circuits? Try to eliminate cylinder trajectory problems and prove that it works with angle circuit. There's a thread here somewhere about 3way and 4way circuits for Kubota's loader valve that could be similar to the JD's.

Hmmm... didn't think about this one.

I'll give it some time before trying this one - it's snowed a bit and I prefer to stay inside where it's warm!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll get a few a more suggestions before venturing out into the wintery mix. That way I'll maximize my time outside. Hey, what the heck - at least we getting a little wiser when we get a little older. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Terry

/ Possible hydraulic cylinder problem. #6  
You said the angle works fine. This is with the left/right movement of the joystick correct?

IF by chance it is up/down that is working the angle, then the REGEN on the joystick is probably your problem.

When you tried to lift the blade with the jack, what happened? Try do do this with on end of the lift cylinder disconnected to make sure the frame is not hitting anything...

/ Possible hydraulic cylinder problem. #7  
BTW, The dump/curl circuit (and angle for your blade: left and right on the joystick) should be the yellow and silver QD's.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've set up the quick disconnects based upon the JDParts diagrams. Checked and rechecked. The angle movement is correct. Works flawlessly!!! Just the danged lift that is not correct.

Does anyone have a JD 54" front blade on their 4100, 4110, etc. I do not have an operators manual so I'm shooting from the hip. Angle movement is done by moving the joystick left to right. No problem. How about lifting the blade and lowering it. Pull back on the joystick and the blade is lifted out of the way. Correct!! Push the joystick forward and the blade is lowered. Correct!! If you slap the joystick forward in detent, the blade should float. Correct!!

Terry

/ Possible hydraulic cylinder problem. #9  
sound a lot like you have the lift circuit set up to the wrong side of a valve. I did the same thing when I installed my blower - it would go down not up. In my case I had to bleed the circuit to get the quick connet off.

if the angle works fine, I'd be tempted to reverse the circuit.

/ Possible hydraulic cylinder problem. #10  
Well, You have all the movements correct....not sure what the problem is. I take it you do not have a FEL and never used the DSCV?

The Manual for the 4110 is avialable in PDF format on www.johndeere.com somewhere...It is pretty much the same as the 4100