Help from resident hydraulic experts needed...

/ Help from resident hydraulic experts needed... #1  

dingleberry

Tractor
NH TC45DA
Can anyone help me. I have removed my FEL valve to replace it. How do I tell if it is open center, closed center, or power beyond?

Thanks alot,
D

/ Help from resident hydraulic experts needed... #2  
First of all it's probably not closed center since most, if not all, CUT hydraulic pumps are fixed displacement (it is always pumping). That means that your system must be open center, assuming you do have a CUT.

As to whether or not you have a valve that has a power beyond configuration, you will have to figure out how the valve is connected. A valve with power beyond will have 3 connections other than the work ports. One connection will be the inlet, one will be the return to tank, and the other will be the power beyond port to continue the circuit.

If you can't trace the lines accurately then you have got to find someone who knows your specific tractor or find a repair manual on the internet or at your local dealer. Without additional information on your specific tractor and its connections, it is difficult to give you an answer.

/ Help from resident hydraulic experts needed... #3  
Before you removed that valve, did you label all the ports, or are they already labelled? The ones I'm familiar with are labelled as to the inlet port, the outlet (back to sump), power beyond (labelled PB), etc. If the valves are closed; i.e., joystick centered, and none of the ports are plugged, you can blow compressed air through the inlet port and it should come out the power beyond port if it's an open centered valve. I would think if you blow air into the inlet port and no air comes out any of the other ports, it's a closed center. And maybe someone else can describe it better since I know we have a lot of members who know more than I do about the valves.

/ Help from resident hydraulic experts needed...
Yes when I removed all of the lines I labeled them. there are only 6. 4 of them are (A,B,C,D) that operate the FEL. The other two are IN and OUT. I assume that the valve is open center, the tractor is a CUT, Ford 1700. I just do not understand what a power beyond system is or does and how to know. I know that it is a more recent application and this tractor is a 1982. Probably before its time. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks for the input
D

/ Help from resident hydraulic experts needed... #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( just do not understand what a power beyond system is or does and how to know. I know that it is a more recent application and this tractor is a 1982. Probably before its time.)</font>

Power beyond style valves have been around longer than your tractor has /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

In a nutshell, a valve with power beyond allows unrestricted flow of fluid from the inlet to the PB outlet. Neutral exhaust fluid from work ports are directed to the tank thru the tank outlet port. A non-power beyond valve will have the neutral exhaust fluid directed back into the outlet port and the PB port (if it exists) will be essentially the same as the outlet port. Non-power beyond valves are usually the last or only valve in the circuit.

If the valve has the ability to have power beyond it is usually implemented by placing a sleeve into the PB port which blocks the outlet (tank) port from the PB port and allows the fluid to flow unrestricted from inlet to PB.

/ Help from resident hydraulic experts needed... #6  
You might try posting your request for help in the NH Owning/Operating forum. You might find someone there who is familiar with the 1700 and who has a workshop manual with hydraulic schmetic.

Great info. I appreciat it. My valve does not have a PB outlet and all other lines flow through it, so it is safe to assume that it is an open center valve. I have my new FEL valve on order and am looking forward to getting it back together.
I really appreciate all of your input it is very helpful, informative and even entertaining.
D

I did it!! It's done and everything works great. Had to purchase a few hydraulic fittings. Weld up, redo and relocate the mounting bracket and reroute a few lines. No fuss, no mess bolt it on and go.

Wow does the loader move a lot faster than it did, my bhoe is plumbed off of the FEL valve as well and I have not hooked it up yet but I hope to get a little better performance out of it.

Valve and installation from New Holland Dealer $515.
Valve and Installation TBN and Me $274.60
Plus all the fun I had and things I learned.
Thanks Madreferee and everyone else for the input especially locating the low-priced, high quality Prince valve.

TIme to go put on the new box blade and grade the driveway!!

D

/ Help from resident hydraulic experts needed... #9  
Weren't you looking for a Ford 1700 shop manual before? I ran across this while looking for something else.

Ford 1700 manual

Thanks Mad, it is good to have more eyes and ears out there.

D