Hydraulic joystick - would this work?

/ Hydraulic joystick - would this work? #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
A friend of mine has a hydraulic joystick that appears to come out of some type of bulldozer or other piece of construction equipment. There are 6 ports on the bottom of the joystick for what appear to be hydraulic connections. I was wondering if this could be used with the hydraulics on my BX23? Does anybody know anything about these types of devices - would they stand up to the pressure of the BX hydraulic system? My idea was to use the joystick to control a top-n-tilt setup for my BX - I managed to score some side link cylinders last year and that would leave just a top cylinder and some hoses and fittings to have a complete setup - if this joystick would work.

/ Hydraulic joystick - would this work? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( that appears to come out of some type of bulldozer or other piece of construction equipment )</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( would they stand up to the pressure of the BX hydraulic system? )</font>

If it came out of a bulldozer or a piece of construction equipment, I think it could handle a BX.

/ Hydraulic joystick - would this work? #3  
Do you have any info as to the type of valve? Open or closed center? Does it have power beyond? Is there a pressure relief on the valve?

It sounds like it's a 3-spool valve but there should be at least 2 or 3 more connections for the pressure inlet, tank output, and possibly power beyond outlet.

Usually dozers have a very high gpm rating, usually around 25 gpm. Your BX has less than 5 gpm so this valve might be a little too big and bulky.

/ Hydraulic joystick - would this work?
I guess what I wasn't sure of was whether a joystick like this was plumbed directly into the hydraulic system in it's original application - and could handle the full hydraulic pressure - or whether there was lower hydraulic pressure at the joystick and it was hooked up remotely somehow to the regular hydraulics.

/ Hydraulic joystick - would this work? #5  
Some fender mounted joysticks are cable operated whereby the joystick cables are connected to the actual valve. Kubota cab tractors have these. From your description you have a normal valve that is connected directly to the tractor hydraulics.

I will have to see if I can get more info on the valve. I just looked at it really quick. There are only six ports on the bottom that are marked 1,2,3,4 , P and a marking I can't make out.

/ Hydraulic joystick - would this work? #7  
You have a 2-spool valve not a 3-spool. 1,2,3,4 are the work ports for the 2 spools (they go to the cylinders). The P port is probably the pressure inlet and the other port is the outlet.

It looks like you do not have power beyond port which would limit the functionality and how you can use it on your BX. That and the fact that it's probably way too big physically would eliminate it from my choices.

/ Hydraulic joystick - would this work? #8  
I'm a hydraulics idiot, but I keep trying to learn. I've seen some devices similar to what you are descripting which are pilot systems to control actual large hydraulics, and are only rated at 500 psi, so do your homework

Actually the size is not too bad - that is what got me thinking about using it in the first place. It would a much better size to fit somewhere on the BX than the typical multiple spools with multiple sticks setup that I have seen for top-n-tilt installs.

Since I am a bit of a hydraulics idiot myself I have a question - do I need to have power beyond? The reason I ask this is because what I was thinking of doing was simply using the hydraulic connections that are already located at the back of my BX23 for the backhoe when it is connected. There are only two connections so my assumption is that these are pressure inlet and pressure outlet (back to tank).
I have the maintainence manual at home - I suppose I could answer my own question by looking up the hydraulics circuits to see what the two connections are. I still don't know if this valve would handle the full hydraulic pressure of the BX system - I will have to do a little more research to figure that one out.

/ Hydraulic joystick - would this work? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Since I am a bit of a hydraulics idiot myself I have a question - do I need to have power beyond? The reason I ask this is because what I was thinking of doing was simply using the hydraulic connections that are already located at the back of my BX23 for the backhoe when it is connected. There are only two connections so my assumption is that these are pressure inlet and pressure outlet (back to tank).)</font>

When those connectors are connected isn't the 3pt disabled? If so then it would put a damper on you using those connectors to work a TNT setup.