Custom Hydraulic hose ?

/ Custom Hydraulic hose ? #1  

npaden

Platinum Member
Tractor
2011 LS U5030C
Okay, I had a leaking hydraulic hose on my loader and when I was running some other errands I noticed a place that makes hydraulic hoses. Instead of trying to makes something work I thought I would just have them make the hose exactly the length I wanted it. 26".

I got it home and put it on and tried the loader and the ends of the hose shot off and oil blew everywhere!

This is probably a really stupid question, but is this something that I am supposed to crimp together on my own or did they forget to do something when they made the hose? The ends of the hose just slide right in and out of the end connectors. They close at noon on Saturdays so I can't call them.

Also they charged 25 cents an inch for 1/2" hose and about $5 for each end connector, does that sound about right?

Thanks, Nathan

/ Custom Hydraulic hose ?
Okay, I had a leaking hydraulic hose on my loader and when I was running some other errands I noticed a place that makes hydraulic hoses. Instead of trying to makes something work I thought I would just have them make the hose exactly the length I wanted it. 26".

I got it home and put it on and tried the loader and the ends of the hose shot off and oil blew everywhere!

This is probably a really stupid question, but is this something that I am supposed to crimp together on my own or did they forget to do something when they made the hose? The ends of the hose just slide right in and out of the end connectors. They close at noon on Saturdays so I can't call them.

Also they charged 25 cents an inch for 1/2" hose and about $5 for each end connector, does that sound about right?

Thanks, Nathan

/ Custom Hydraulic hose ? #3  
I think they forgot to finsih the job, unless when you picked it up they said, "crimp" the ends /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Custom Hydraulic hose ? #4  
I think they forgot to finsih the job, unless when you picked it up they said, "crimp" the ends /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think they forgot to finsih the job, unless when you picked it up they said, "crimp" the ends /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Is this something that I can do with basic tools or do I just wait until they are open again and bring it back?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think they forgot to finsih the job, unless when you picked it up they said, "crimp" the ends /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Is this something that I can do with basic tools or do I just wait until they are open again and bring it back?

/ Custom Hydraulic hose ? #7  
Don't know, I would let them finish it. Sorry, I know you probably want to use your tractor. Just enjoy something else for the next two days.
Bob

/ Custom Hydraulic hose ? #8  
Don't know, I would let them finish it. Sorry, I know you probably want to use your tractor. Just enjoy something else for the next two days.
Bob

/ Custom Hydraulic hose ? #9  
No it is not something you should do with basic tools, in fact it may be very dangerous to do with basic tools. The fitting may hold just well enough for a while and then a small stream of very high pressure fluid could get you. Take the hose back to the folks that made the hose up, they have special tools and dies to crimp the crimp type hydraulic fittings. Re useable fittings are made that you may be able to assembly your self but from your description I do not think you have that type fitting.
If it happened to me, I would let the shop owner or manager know what I thought of the shoddy workmanship and remind them of the danger of high pressure fluids. IMHO.
The price is not out of line, just the work.
Farwell

/ Custom Hydraulic hose ? #10  
No it is not something you should do with basic tools, in fact it may be very dangerous to do with basic tools. The fitting may hold just well enough for a while and then a small stream of very high pressure fluid could get you. Take the hose back to the folks that made the hose up, they have special tools and dies to crimp the crimp type hydraulic fittings. Re useable fittings are made that you may be able to assembly your self but from your description I do not think you have that type fitting.
If it happened to me, I would let the shop owner or manager know what I thought of the shoddy workmanship and remind them of the danger of high pressure fluids. IMHO.
The price is not out of line, just the work.
Farwell