Hydraulic issue...

/ Hydraulic issue... #1  

mrcaptainbob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bolens HT-20
Dinko tractor with a fel. All was going smoothly. Used the fel a moderate amount today. Instantly, (no warning) no hydraulics. Pump input shaft spins, it has fluid, changed filter, no flow to the cylinders. Tried lever movement with no filter to see if there was any flow through..nothing there either. Could it be a pump issue? Or would the control bypass be buggered? SInce there's no flow at the filter, I'm thinking ($$) bad pump. Any way of checking that pump without dissassmbly?

/ Hydraulic issue... #2  
mrcaptainbob said:
Dinko tractor with a fel. All was going smoothly. Used the fel a moderate amount today. Instantly, (no warning) no hydraulics. Pump input shaft spins, it has fluid, changed filter, no flow to the cylinders. Tried lever movement with no filter to see if there was any flow through..nothing there either. Could it be a pump issue? Or would the control bypass be buggered? SInce there's no flow at the filter, I'm thinking ($$) bad pump. Any way of checking that pump without dissassmbly?

Assuming this Dinko tractor has an open center hydraulic system, with the engine running (and pump pumping) fluid should flow continuously thru the FEL control valve. When a lever is actuated then fluid should be redirected to the cylinders.

You can disconnect the control valve power beyond outlet hose where it connects back into the hydraulic circuit (not at the valve, please) and stick the end into a clean bucket. Crank/start the engine. Fluid should flow into the bucket. If it doesn't then stop engine and reconnect that hose. Disconnect the pressure inlet hose at the control valve and restart the engine. If fluid flows then the valve is clogged. If no fluid flows then you probably have a pump issue.

/ Hydraulic issue... #3  
you might check to see if pump shaft has a woodrift key or shearpin

/ Hydraulic issue... #4  
bdb121 said:
you might check to see if pump shaft has a woodrift key or shearpin

My thought as well, key or pump shaft sheared. Some Chinese tractors have had the pump input shafts shear off.
Ben

/ Hydraulic issue...
You guys are right. It was something on that input shaft.I'll bet it had a shear pin. I replaced it with a woodruff key. Sure am glad it was a cheap and easy fix! If only they ALL were only $.49! There should be some slide feature between the pump and the PTO. SInce the PTO has a 3/8 bolt going through a splined shaft, that leaves the sliding feature to be on the pump shaft. Was really pleased when that bucket moved on start up! Thanks for the help....