restrictors for hydraulic hoses

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses #1  

davidseaquist

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Ingersoll Rand Bl370b
I have an attachment with a hydraulic cylander that closes too quickly. If I move the control foreward slowly I can control the flow to the cylander. But if I just push the cylander control forward the cylander slams the attachment shut. I use 1/2" hydraulic hoses and the flow is about 13 gpm I need to reduce the flow so the attachment does not close so fast. I am looking for restrictor washers I can put in the hoses or fittings. I have not been able to locate them. Thanks David.

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses #2  
David, I'm by no means qualified to answer your question but I'll give you my findings that are way simplified the smaller the hose the less volume of hydraulic fluid is allowed to flow use smaller hose for instance I've got a HTL on my 90hp tractor can't remember the gpm of the pump but the hoses to the cylinder are 1/4" id it makes the cylinder very useable when accuracy is critical as it slows my implements movement a lot, but yet just as strong since the pressure is still there just not the volume. Reduce your hose sizes its a quick, cheap fix and what has been reccomended on this site many times for the troubles your describing.
Steve

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses #3  
You can either go to TSC and buy a restrictor fitting or switch to smaller diameter hoses. I almost always go to 1/4" hoses for working hydraulic cylinders on attachments and HTLs. The flow is restricted enough to allow fine feathering of the cylinder in either direction.

If you don't have anyone nearby who can supply hose then go to http://www.discounthydraulichose.com and order some 2 wire hose with the proper swivel fittings. You may need an adapter fitting to go from the cylinder to the hose but DHH has them too. Plenty of us here have used them and we are very satisfied.

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses #4  
   / restrictors for hydraulic hoses #5  
An adjustable flow control like mchasal described is the way to go. However,if you want your cylinders to exdend and retract at the same speed,you will need 2. One for each port on the valve. Because cylinders extend slower than they retract given the same flow rate. This is also why they meter oil only in one direction. Norton

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses #6  
I added a 4 dollar restrictor from TSC and the grapple is now just right for feathering.

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses #7  
I have bought them at my local New Holland and Kubota dealers. They were in stock and I got them right away.

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses
Thanks for all of the replys. I will check with my local Tractor dealers. I will see if the washer style or some inexpensive restrictor is available if not I will buy smaller hoses. I hate to purchace new hoses at 15 to 30 dollars apice when my hoses are new. David

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses #9  
Dave you don't need to go to the added expense to replace your existing hoses. When my grapple was installed it too was way to fast acting with 3/8" hoses. There was no way to feather the joystick so I went to TSC and purchased one 4 dollar restrictor, you can install it on either hydraulic hose. Once installed the grapple slowed to a point where it could easily be feathered.

The recommendation for smaller hydraulic hoses is valid if you hadn't already made your hose purchase. Since you already have the larger hoses use the cheap fix and get-r-done. :D

/ restrictors for hydraulic hoses #10  
davidseaquist said:
Thanks for all of the replys. I will check with my local Tractor dealers. I will see if the washer style or some inexpensive restrictor is available if not I will buy smaller hoses. I hate to purchace new hoses at 15 to 30 dollars apice when my hoses are new. David

In addition to the other things mentioned, you can get restrictor fittings to replace the ones on the cylinder. They come with small holes. If it is too slow, you can just drill them out a size or two.

Harry K