Hydraulic hose size?

/ Hydraulic hose size? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
What size hydraulic hose should I have for a 22gpm pump? Looks like the port size is 3/4" pipe and the suction is 1-1/4". I also can't determine what the port size is on my Prince 5200 series valve is. The literature that came with the valve provides me with no information regarding this.

/ Hydraulic hose size? #2  
I don't know, but my loader has an aux 20 GPM pump and the lines out of the valve assembly are 1/2 inch going to smaller steel lines. All IH factory stuff.
the lines on the pump sound like the same size as yours or really close.

/ Hydraulic hose size? #3  
Cord said:
What size hydraulic hose should I have for a 22gpm pump? Looks like the port size is 3/4" pipe and the suction is 1-1/4". I also can't determine what the port size is on my Prince 5200 series valve is. The literature that came with the valve provides me with no information regarding this.

You need at least a 3/4" ID hose or metal tubing. That will cover you to 27 and 33 gpm respectively. Going down to 1/2" will be way less (12/19) than your pump.

A 1-1/4" suction hose is a little light (rated at 19 gpm). You should be using 1-1/2" suction hose (27 gpm rated).

The RD5200 series Prince valves have the inlet/outlet ports as either SAE 12 or 3/4" NPT. The work ports can either be 1/2" NPT, 3/4" NPT, SAE 10 or SAE 12. You can tell what you have based on it's part number which should start with RD52 and have anywhere from 8-12 more letters or digits.

In any case, the port options available are sized to the valve which is a 25 gpm monster and should give you no problem.

Prince used to have their catalog online. All the above valve specific info came from a pdf that I downloaded from the Prince site a few year ago.

/ Hydraulic hose size?
Somewhere I have a sketch with the required hose sizes on it, but I can't find the sketch. The information came off of Prince's website, but it's no longer there. For whatever reason, they have taken the hose size and port information off their site. I was hoping the packaging with the valve would tell me what port size it has, but the paperwork is an exact duplicate of what is already on their website. I have the valve in one hand and the supplied paperwork in the other and I still don't know what ports the valve has! Arghh!

/ Hydraulic hose size? #5  
Cord said:
Somewhere I have a sketch with the required hose sizes on it, but I can't find the sketch. The information came off of Prince's website, but it's no longer there. For whatever reason, they have taken the hose size and port information off their site. I was hoping the packaging with the valve would tell me what port size it has, but the paperwork is an exact duplicate of what is already on their website. I have the valve in one hand and the supplied paperwork in the other and I still don't know what ports the valve has! Arghh!

You obviously did not look hard enough on the Prince website. I found the RD5200 info in 5 seconds. In any case, you need to know which port options came with your valve. There is probably a code somewhere on the casting. Otherwise you have to measure thread sizes.

SAE 10 = 7/8-14
SAE 12 - 1-1/16-12
1/2" NPT = 14 threads/inch OD=.84" ID=.53"
3/4" NPT = 14 threads/inch OD=1" ID=.97"

BTW, here is a link to the Prince website for your valve. Just scroll down to the RD5200 and select the document you want to read. The catalog pages will be of most interest to you as it tells how to figure out the part number code.

Prince Monoblock Valves

/ Hydraulic hose size? #7  
Hey, Mad. thanks for the link on that reference page , handy stuff.
One thing though, it makes several GPH references on there, shouldn't that be GPM ?
Ben