Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder..

/ Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder.. #1  

BobG_in_VA

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux
A good friend of mine has a '80s Ford 1900 with a Ford 771 FEL. He's had about 4 "blowouts" on one of the lift cylinders (he has repacked it, tried to rebuild it, etc.) but it still wants to blow out under pressure. He's called around locally and it seems that a new one will be somewhere around $500. Does anyone know where such a beast may be found at somewhat of a reasonable price? Appreciate it folks! BobG in VA

/ Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder.. #2  
Surplus Center sells some replacement cylinders for about $120. The website is Surplus Center - Hydraulic Equipment Electric Motors Don't buy them all cause I need a couple for my loader. They don't have them listed separate on the web site from std hyd cylinders but there is a section in the catalog for loader cylinders.

Last edited:
   / Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder.. #3  
Has your friend ever checked the other cyl to make shure it is alright. It might be what is causing the other to blow.

/ Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder..
Hooked_on_HP said:
Has your friend ever checked the other cyl to make shure it is alright. It might be what is causing the other to blow.

I'm sure he hasn't. It's an interesting thought though...I'll mention it to him. What do you think, obstruction or something similar? PS, I looked in the Surplus hydraulics. Do you need the catalog to find the tractor cylinders? BobG in VA

/ Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder.. #5  
I think some good advice would be to take BOTH cylinders to a good hydraulic shop and have them go through them to be sure they are BOTH good. Possibly the opposite cylinder is leaking internally so all the lift is being done by the one that keeps failing:confused:

/ Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder.. #6  
If it is blowing the packing out of the same cyl check that the bore is not to big they will sometimes expand with age. and you can not keep packing in them

Dirthog said:
If it is blowing the packing out of the same cyl check that the bore is not to big they will sometimes expand with age. and you can not keep packing in them

I hear you....I told him that either the piston is microscopically bent or there's something in there that ain't right. He's re-done it now 3 or so times. Each time it lasts for about a week then blows out again. I think the offside cylinder is OK as it will raise/lower the bucket normally even when the bad is blown. Appreciate the responses, as I'm no "expert" on hyd cylinders. BobG in VA

/ Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder.. #8  
Bob,
I your friend getting the packing from New Holland or somewhere else?

/ Ford FEL lift hydraulic cylinder.. #9  
You will need to know the following before you call:
Bore Dia.
Rod Dia.
Retracted lenght
Pin Dia.
Stroke

They have some made by Cross Hyd. 2" Bore with a 26" stroke 1" pin 35" retracted length for about $89ea. You can call them and give them the info if you want.

shaley said:
You will need to know the following before you call:
Bore Dia.
Rod Dia.
Retracted lenght
Pin Dia.
Stroke

They have some made by Cross Hyd. 2" Bore with a 26" stroke 1" pin 35" retracted length for about $89ea. You can call them and give them the info if you want.

Thanks for the above info. Not sure where he got the repacking stuff.. BobG in VA