Perplexing Hydraulic Problem

/ Perplexing Hydraulic Problem
I agree Jinman. I think it's a safety valve stuck inside the Hyd. Control Valve which is inside the 3 Pt. Assy. hosuing. And I've already said that would stretch my mechanical aptitude at this point not to mention no garage, no hoist to lift the top of the assy., no time, etc...

I reviewed the flow of fluid and I thought it flowed from Pump to Diverter to FEL valve when in fact it goes Pump to Diverter to Hyd. Control Valve. Stuck Safety Valve in the Hyd. Ctrl. Valve. That's my guesstimate.

Todd in Placerville.

/ Perplexing Hydraulic Problem #32  
Any update on the problem? I'm especially interested as I have a NH 1920 also. Thanks

Billfires

Thanks for asking Bill. I dropped the tractor off at the NH shop on Monday. Spoke with them today and there was 0 pressure from the Power Beyond rearward, hence no lift on the 3Pt. unless running 2500 RPM's and even then you could stop the ascent with little pressure with your hand.

They are testing the Pressure Relief Valve in the frams mount diverter and then there are two or more safety valves to check under the seat. We'll see what they come up with.

Cheers.

Todd in Placerville.

Well fellow TBN'ers, I've got the 1920 back from the shop and they even had trouble finding the problem. It turned out to be an internal bolt in the two spool remote valve (the valve controlling the FEL and providing power beyond). This bolt had worked it's way loose and was allowing the fluid to dump directly back into the reservoir while still enabling the FEL to work.

Upon inspecting this bolt (allen type) it appeared to have been slightly stripped on the first thread and we don't know if that was a factory issue or if it happened as it worked loose.

Nonetheless it cost me a bit of money to isolate and repair this 25 cent part. My initial thoughts were that the problem was somehow in this valve as nothing worked past it but I was reticent to open it up and explore. My common sense now tell's me not to be so gun shy as had I had to have them rebuild the valve, it probably would've cost less thant the labor to find it and fix it.

Thankyou for everyone help and input. Todd in Placerville

/ Perplexing Hydraulic Problem #35  
<font color=blue>My common sense now tell's me not to be so gun shy as had I had to have them rebuild the valve, it probably would've cost less thant the labor to find it and fix it.
</font color=blue>

Don't try to second-guess yourself, Todd. Most problems are perfectly clear once we discover the real cause. You could just as easily have disassembled the remote valve and have it turn out to be somewhere else. I'm happy you found the problem and now have your tractor back on the job. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
Thanks for letting us know what happened.

/ Perplexing Hydraulic Problem #36  
Todd, thanks for the update. Sometimes when it comes to repairs it's hard to figure out the best course of action. If this had been something the shop had seen before it might have been a quick repair but it seems in this case they didn't find it any faster than you could have. Glad it's fixed and thanks once again for keeping us informed.

Bill

/ Perplexing Hydraulic Problem #37  
Todd, a little off the subject but have you had the "cool running" problem on your 1920? I was able to put my first operating hour on mine and noticed the temp gauge barely moved.

Bill

Well, It's nice to back on a fully functioning tractor. I've used the FEL and the Backhoe post fix and one thing I've noticed is that both the FEL and the Hoe respond more smoothly since the two spool valve was repaired. I had begun to notice that the FEL was getting a little jerky, particularly going into and out of float-It wasn't smooth and the hydraulics would jump around when utilized. Also the Backhoe now provides me with a much greater/granular degree of control in movement whereas it was also more jerky prior to the fix. I guess as these things started to manifest themselves, they went unoticed due to :

1. This is my first Tractor/Hydraulic machine
2. Changes were gradual as opposed to instantaneous. If you read one of my first posts, you'll note that the Backhoe stopped working slowly as opposed to all at once.

All in all, I'm now a happy camper once again. And thankyou once again for all the helpful TBN'ers that went down the diagnostic path with me. Truly a remarkable resource this little website.

Todd in Placerville

/ Perplexing Hydraulic Problem #39  
:thumbsup:
Well fellow TBN'ers, I've got the 1920 back from the shop and they even had trouble finding the problem. It turned out to be an internal bolt in the two spool remote valve (the valve controlling the FEL and providing power beyond). This bolt had worked it's way loose and was allowing the fluid to dump directly back into the reservoir while still enabling the FEL to work.

Upon inspecting this bolt (allen type) it appeared to have been slightly stripped on the first thread and we don't know if that was a factory issue or if it happened as it worked loose.

Nonetheless it cost me a bit of money to isolate and repair this 25 cent part. My initial thoughts were that the problem was somehow in this valve as nothing worked past it but I was reticent to open it up and explore. My common sense now tell's me not to be so gun shy as had I had to have them rebuild the valve, it probably would've cost less thant the labor to find it and fix it.

Thankyou for everyone help and input. Todd in Placerville

I have a 1920 New Holland tractor also. My neighbor and I just fixed the same issue. The lift would not work but the front end loader would. I found this statement ya'll were talking about and the same set screw had fallen out. It is on the double spool valve. Sitting on the tractor with the blue cover off the valve, it will be the cap you take off with a wrench on the left side of the valves. Take the screw cap loose and inside there is where the allen screw should be tight. Mine was just lying there. It looked like it had Loc-tite on the threads but it had backed out. We put Loc-tite on it and tightened it down. My lift works great now! Thanks for the info! Also thanks to my neighbor Greg B. and his uncle Gary B. in PC VA.

/ Perplexing Hydraulic Problem #40  
Weekend warrior,

Welcome, Glad your problem is fixed.....Possible to get some pics of the culprit for the next guy..??