Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this

/ Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this #1  

rutwad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 5465, Kubota M5040, Farmall H (2), Minneapolis Moline R, Case 530CK, Cat 416C
I run an ASV RC-100 with 3300 psi. I had to replace a hose for my mulcher head yesterday and later noticed the new hose was rated at only 2000 psi. Then I looked at the hoses that came with the mulcher head and they are only rated for 2390.

Not knowing, but it looks like even the factory hoses are underrated. Am I missing something?

Confused!

/ Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this #2  
There are several dozen types of hydraulic hose. Cheaper hose has only one wire braid. Better hose has two and sometimes 4 wire braids. The number of wire braids coupled with the inside diameter coupled with the type of rubber coating used will determine the psi rating of the hose. Usually higher psi hose will be more durable.

I always recommend a 2-wire SAE 100R2 hose. The 3/8" variety will be rated around 4000 psi and should be adequate for any CUT usage.

If you want a good place to check on hoses, their types, specs, and ratings, then the Discount Hydraulic Hose selection page for hoses will give you all the info on the available hoses you will ever want to know.

/ Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this
So are the hoses that came with my mulcher underrated for the machines pressure?

/ Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this #4  
Maybe. Without seeing the hydraulic schematic I'd probably say yes. What does the manufacturer ASV have to say about it?

Well, I just emailed ASV to see what they say.

/ Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this #6  
A return hose maybe?

KB

/ Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this #7  
Haven't been much in the hose business since retiring about 11 years ago, but the working presure of most of the hose manufacturers is 25 percent of the burst presure. In most operating systems you're operating far below the actual rated working presure of the hose most of the time. If you are really concerned, tee a liquid filled gage into the pump output line and watch it for a while. You'll get the idea then.

/ Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this #8  
County Sawyer said:
Haven't been much in the hose business since retiring about 11 years ago, but the working presure of most of the hose manufacturers is 25 percent of the burst presure. In most operating systems you're operating far below the actual rated working presure of the hose most of the time. If you are really concerned, tee a liquid filled gage into the pump output line and watch it for a while. You'll get the idea then.
Maybe you can help on this. Ive heard that burst has a time element associated. - Like you cant hold 90% of burst P for long w/o failure. Do you know those figures?
Id like to know more about it because pressures can go very high in a loader circuit when pushing or carrying a load in the bucket. When the loader valve is centered theres no pressure relief.
Larry

/ Hydraulic PSI and hoses....please explain this #9  
I'm with MAdref. if your hyd system runs or reliefs at 3300.. i wouldn't be using 2000psi hoses.

-Most- tractor applications are 2500 psi or so...I just plumbed a FEL on an old ford that only has 1750-2000 psi pressure capability.. i still used the 4000 psi hoses madref referrred to.. especially since the scv is setting between my legs on the hyd top cover of that tractor.. get my point?

Soundguy

ASV replied and said the hoses are underrated. They are being replaced because the operating pressure is 3650 and could spike higher.