Hydraulic line replacement

/ Hydraulic line replacement #11  
The hydraulic hoses are generally referred to as "flex hoses". When they no longer flex it is an indicator that the hose has reached the end of its useful life. In addition to the hassle of having to stop what you are doing to acquire a new hose, cleaning up the mess that resulted from the failure you are subjecting your hydraulic system to contamination which can result from the interior deterioration of the hose assembly.
My time available to spend on projects is limited so I attempt to minimize my down time by optimizing my preventive maintenance.

A hydraulic flex line that will not flex is a failure waiting to happen.

Mark

/ Hydraulic line replacement #12  
I am resurrecting this thread because I am having a similar issue and would like some clarification. The rubber on my loader curl lines is also cracking. From what I understand in this thread is that this does not mean they are about ready to blow but that I need to check to see what the hoses look like below the cracking rubber. Is this correct or should I change them?

/ Hydraulic line replacement #13  
The wire is what holds the pressure. if the wires are intact and not frayed or rusted.. then the hose is not yet ready to leak. no doubt that once the outter cover is gone.. the hose will be more prone to decay and damage.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Hydraulic line replacement #14  
Exactly what soundguy said...
That means you either have to keep a close eye on them or replace them, because you might not be able to tell how they are reacting to atmosphere ... rust, decay damage etc. If it was me, I would replace them in the near future just for peace of mind. On the other hand, you could leave them on and just wait for failure ... because you might still get years of use before that happens.

/ Hydraulic line replacement #15  
Then again, I had a loader hose pop on me that looked ok. No cracks or checks. Lifted the loader up and hit the limit and pop! Scared the schnitzel out of me. That was an original 1963 hose, so I guess it was time. Had all new ones made.

jb