Hydraulic line replacement

/ Hydraulic line replacement #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
Well, this is the first time my JD1070 has needed a part since I have owned it. I was doing some work to my driveway to save it from the great ground thaw. My flexible curl cylinder hose on the supply side busted on the left side from dry rot. Not having any knowledge with hydraulics, I figured I should ask how to fix it. Do I just remove and bring to napa? Do I have to drain for pressure relief? I will replace both left and right, because the right has sign of dry rot in same spot where hose takes a bend before connection. The metal end on the right is bent, will napa have replacement end?

I'll have to wash her down after fixing, the hose sprayed fluid all over her and some on me :(.

Thanks Guys

/ Hydraulic line replacement #2  
NAPA should have everything, if not you can order from DiscountHydraulicHose.com hose and have NAPA do the crimp. You should try to find out why the original failed and correct it. It's always dry rot at first glance but the hose contains a one or two steel wire braid and just the over cover is rotted. Did the wires rust or fatigue from flexing?

/ Hydraulic line replacement
Shaley,
The tractor is a 98, so I do believe it is just dry rot. The hose does take a pretty sharp bend before the connection, so I may try to change that with the length of the new one. That is where the hole opened up, right on the bend.

/ Hydraulic line replacement #4  
Your dealer would be the place to get original (and pressure tested) replacement. Typically I do not have the patience and just take it to my locally auto parts store to get a replacement made. Note that many of these auto parts outlets are manned by untrained personnel with no means to pressure check the new line after assembly, so please be careful if go this route.

Hydraulic hoses are very strong in the very nature of their construction however as they say nothing lasts forever. Part of the preventive maintenance should be to check all flex lines, when they become brittle to the touch it is time for them to be gone.

Mark

/ Hydraulic line replacement #5  
Measure the hose length, identify the end fittings and call Discount Hydraulic Hose and order another one. Make sure you get at least 2-wire 4000 psi hose. Accept nothing less. If you have a dealer nearby or a local hydraulic shop or NAPA store nearby they should be able tho fix you up too, but will probably cost more.

/ Hydraulic line replacement #6  
Most people around here just take the old one into a hydraulic shop and say I need a GOOD quality hose just like this one. I make them use Gates hose instead of import.
The dealers seem to do the same thing unless you want to wait a day or so for a factory one to come in.
Ben

/ Hydraulic line replacement #7  
As the other poster said.. a new hose probably didn't 'dry rot' even if the rubber looks bad on it.

I got a 1957 tractor with 3 vintage hoses on it. ( the specific banjo ends on it havn't been around for -decades-.. so i know they are vintage. they are dry and cracked, and the metal underneath is fine..... 1998? those are 'new' hoses. I have hoses from 98 on my batwing mower.. dray and cracked.. and don't leak...

Flexing on the other hand may have caused it to blow.. etc.

Soundguy

dtd24 said:
Shaley,
The tractor is a 98, so I do believe it is just dry rot. The hose does take a pretty sharp bend before the connection, so I may try to change that with the length of the new one. That is where the hole opened up, right on the bend.

/ Hydraulic line replacement #8  
Or cheap hoses...
My old IH 1968 vintage 2050 loader has the origional hoses on the loader, look horrible but will still lift a ton or so. Their replacement is part of this years refurbishment though, some of the swivel fittings dribble a bit.

/ Hydraulic line replacement #9  
I have blown all four of my curl cylinder hoses (all identical, 18" long). Everyone of them blew where the fitting was crimped onto the hose. Everyone was also a bath for my loader, tractor, and me. I went to my dealer and he made them on the spot for less than $20 each with new swivel fittings and 2-wire, 4000 psi hose.

After the second hose blew, I just had three made. I put one on the loader and just waited. Sure enough the other two eventually blew and I had a replacement on hand. If one of yours blew, I'd at least get two and keep a spare handy.

/ Hydraulic line replacement
Yeah, Im gonna replace both curl hoses. Hated the hydraulic bath!!