Glow Plug Indicator

/ Glow Plug Indicator #1  

gilbertmsg

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti CK20
I have a TU 1700 and this afternoon, turned switch to heat glow plugs for a 10-15 second warm-up as normal. After about 5 seconds wire started to turn red and I then noticed very hot glowing red and shortly thereafter burnt indicator wire. What went wrong? and can I find a wire at local tractor shop?

/ Glow Plug Indicator #2  
one thing it could be is a shorted glow plug or wire going to the glow plugs....Larry

/ Glow Plug Indicator #3  
from what i was told the glo plugs do not short out. they will go into open and will not glow.so i will guess it could be faulty wiring to the plugs or the glo indicator wire just got blown like a light bulb. it could have reached its lifespan. the tractor dealer do not have the wire but u may be able to get a used part.try Used salvaged tractor parts including John Deere, Ford, Kubota and other Japanese tractor part dealers or Valley Power or Sparex Ltd is a world leader in the supply of Replacement Parts and Accessories for agricultural tractors and machinery.

/ Glow Plug Indicator #4  
Sparex only sells through dealers.

/ Glow Plug Indicator
I have fairly new glow plugs so don't think they are bad. Can I use a piece of copper wire and bend it around the posts to achieve my goal. Thanks for the posts.

/ Glow Plug Indicator #6  
No. The indicator is a resistor that drops voltage to the glow plugs. If you use a piece of wire you will burnup your plugs......Larry

/ Glow Plug Indicator #7  
the glo wire is resistive it may be anything from 1 ohm to 3 ohms of resistance.plus it has the ability to increase in resistance as it gets hotter.it will limit the current to the glo plugs and prevent burn out.copper wire is too conductive to use.you need something like a tungsten alloy wire of the proper guage.get the part replaced is the right thing.

/ Glow Plug Indicator #8  
the wire from inside a old toaster may do the trick.about 2 inches of the toaster wire element may work. or the wire from the old hot plates.

/ Glow Plug Indicator #9  
i saw some element wire on this site:eBay lets know how u made out.

/ Glow Plug Indicator
Obtained a piece of wire from old heat pump coil. Replaced on indicator and turned key to heat glow plugs. Wire turned red way to fast. I started checking and found that the first glow plug in line had the head broken off. I not sure what caused that. Took out broken plug and replaced with one of the old ones I had left when I changed these this spring. Turned key again and still the coil turned red very fast again. I stopped before burning the wire again. The new wire is not as large as the original equipment on the tractor. What could be causing the indicator to heat up so fast? Comments are appreciated.