Clutch does not disengage

/ Clutch does not disengage #1  

dca81

I have a 1910 and the clutch is not disengaging when I depress the clutch pedal. I have adjusted the clutch several time but it does not help. Is this a mechanical mechanism, if so I would guess I bent the the fork that moves the throw out bearing against the pressure plate, or could just be a poor pressure plate? This happened very sudden. Was just starting to notice that I had to press the clutch pedal in all the way and then one day I started it and the clutch did not function at all.

/ Clutch does not disengage #2  
Throw out bearing could have come apart,pressure plate fingers could have weakened, the intermediate linkage could be bent or have fallen off. Lets hope its #3.

/ Clutch does not disengage #3  
Welcome-18-june.gif
dca81 to the forum, is there a way that a second person could get under tractor ( shut off ) and look at what is and is not moving for you?
Jim
:)

/ Clutch does not disengage
Checked exterior linkage and it appears to fuction and adjust properly.
Thanks for the reply

The linkage moves a lever underneath the transmission, not sue why? I assume the clutch throw out is the lever moving on the front of the transmission bellhousing (which also moves when I depress the clutch pedal). I can feel a little play in the lever on the transmission bell housing then it tightens against something. I assume this is the throw out bearing engaging against the pressure plate, but when I depress the clutch further nothing happens.

Last edited:
   / Clutch does not disengage #6  
1) If the clutch suddenly stopped working (was fine five minutes ago, won't work now), you more than likely have a failed throw-out bearing. In this case, you split the tractor and renew the failed component (and probably a clutch set since you have it apart).

2) If the tractor has been sitting for 6 weeks and now the clutch won't disengage, then your clutch plate is more than likely seized to the flywheel. In this case (and you didn't hear it from me) check the tractor is freewheeling (not stuck to the ground), start in low gear and drive (uphill if possible) with the clutch in until it breaks free. Another method is someone pulls (jerks) the tractor with a tow strap while you have the clutch pushed in. (I know, shouldn't do this, dangerous, etc. - not suggesting you do it, just that I and many people have).

3) The other possibility is that by incorrectly adjusting the clutch (less than zero clearance) or / and, then stepping on it, you can bend the fingers on the pressure plate and lunch it. In this case, correction is the same as number 1.

Tractor had set for sevaral weeks prior to starting. I was starting it to remove snow from the driveway,so it was also cold. However, I did get it started in neutral and at low rpms, with much grinding got it in gear, not sure I held the clutch in except at low rpms. I will try this again and hold the clutch in as I work the tractor. Never heard of this before, so thx for the advice.
Bob

/ Clutch does not disengage #8  
Check the clutch stop. It probably has loosened and is stopping the clutch pedal too soon.

Checked and it is OK. The clutch pedal feels right, there is a little play at the top, then it starts to engage (feel pressure). I assume this is the throw out bearing meeting the pressure plate, but nothing happens, the clutch just stays engaged. Thx for the suggestion.
Bob

/ Clutch does not disengage #10  
It sure sounds like you have the clutch rusted to the pressure plate and flywheel. Once you get it broken loose look to see if your tractor has a device to hook over the clutch peddle to hold it in a disengaged position when you are going to let it sit for a while. Some have it, if not you might want to consider hooking up something like that on your machine.