Iseki TA250- Cold Starts

/ Iseki TA250- Cold Starts #1  

Steve S

I'm new to the Iseki and would like to know the best and correct way to start this tractor when it is cold out. I know about turning the key to the left for the glow plugs but how long do you let the coil glow and any other advice. Also does it used just normal gear oil in the front axle for lube? Thanks in advance.

/ Iseki TA250- Cold Starts #2  
Hi Steve I have a TA357 and this is what the manual recommends for the glow plugs: 0 to -5, 10 seconds, -5 to -10, 10 to 20 seconds, -10 to -20, 20 to 30 seconds, -20 or more, 30 seconds or as required (these are all celcius by the way). My tractor does not have the eye with the coil that glows. If yours does you should use that as your guide for how long to preheat being careful not to hold it on longer than you need to since you can burn them out if they're held on too long. Set your throttle at half and once coil glows bright red start the tractor. As soon as it starts back the throttle off a bit. If it doesn't start readily like that you may have glowplug issues.
As to the proper oil to use in your front axle good quality 80-90W gear oil is what you want for that. Gerry

/ Iseki TA250- Cold Starts #3  
Steve
I have a TA210 that starts in all but sub-freezing temps with the use of high throttle settings and no glow plugs. Most of the time I can climb on, open the throttle and twist the key and she fires right off. Have to be ready to close the throttle to keep the RPMs down on a cold engine. I normally only use the glow plugs 45 degrees or less.
Mark

/ Iseki TA250- Cold Starts #4  
Steve,

One additional item you may want to consider in assisting cold starts is to use a diesel rated 10W30 or even the Rotella 5W40 oil. In Nebraska, temperature ranges from plus 100+ in summer to -15 to -20 in winter. My Iseki sits in an unheated second garage so after an evening snow event it can be pretty cold. I use a 15W40 standard oil in summer and then change oil in December to a 10W30. Generally use either Mystik (Citgo) or Shell Rotella SB 10W30.. both are synthetic blends. The thinner oil has a lower (- temp) pour point by about 5 degrees or so and a higher viscosity rating.. ie: thinner and better pumpability.. This may add a bit to ease of starting depending on your situation and location.