Oil & Fuel How to check / change oil in front axle

/ How to check / change oil in front axle #1  

Chris_in_Oz

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TU155 Landhope
I'm really stacking up these jobs for over the holidays - all I gotta do now is do 'em...
How do I know how much oil is on the front axle / dif? How often should I dump it and renew?
Cheers!

/ How to check / change oil in front axle #2  
I think we would need to know the model etc .
I assume its four wheel drive .Also Ive seen some comments here concerning what type of oil to use. Gear oil vs hydraulic oil you might try the search and see what you come up with.

/ How to check / change oil in front axle #3  
I Use 90/140 Gear Oil in the Front Axle. The Plug is in the top of the Axle tube on the Drivers side on Mine & Remove the Plug & look in there with a Flashlight , I Just make sure there is Enough grease to Barelly cover the top of the front Axle . Also Make sure its on Level Ground . Thats the Only thing that uses Gear Oil on Mine, Everything else uses Hydraulic Fluid .

I Only Change it When I Spring a Leak & Have to Repair, Or The Axle Is Exposed to to Much water . If It Looks Milky , Its Time to Change it. Just what Works for Me. Good luck.

Bob

/ How to check / change oil in front axle
Good call. I checked the "oils & Lubes" and the "Iseki" forums and couldn't find anything.
Wasn't sure which of the two groups to post this in and decided that I was after any specific info on my particular tractor, more than "service" info...

It is an Iseki Landhope TU155. 4WD. The TU is a "flat floorpan" type.
It has a raised, round "sticky-up-bit" on the front axle that I have no clue what it does, a bit smaller than 1/2" dia and about 3" long.
Whatever you have, I'd appreciate it!

/ How to check / change oil in front axle #5  
My TS1610F is as Cowboy described his. A 1/2" or so dia. threaded plug on the top of the axle housing casting on left side as you sit in the seat. Manual says to add 90W/whatever gear oil until the axle inside is completely covered, no more. I added more and it started leaking out the drive shaft seal, but stops when the level is just above the axle. So this must be right.

Attachments

• Front_axle_fill_level.jpg.JPG
    Front_axle_fill_level.jpg.JPG
    555 KB · Views: 1,391
   / How to check / change oil in front axle
Cheers, guys!
I have the same fitting on the front-right, but have this other thing on front-left. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1. TU155_Front_Right.jpg
    1. TU155_Front_Right.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 2. TU155_Front_Left.jpg
    2. TU155_Front_Left.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 746
   / How to check / change oil in front axle #7  
I suppose it could be some kind of expansion chamber. In that case, you would probably fill the axle housing to the top and then screw that fitting on to take up any fluid thermal expansion. But honestly, I don't know.

Bill

/ How to check / change oil in front axle #8  
Mine are not the same Models As Yours. Both are a little bit Bigger. But Both Iseki 4 WD . Those Are Fill Tubes on Mine. Not Positive on Yours Though. Does it look Like The Top Unscrews ? That Way You Open the Plug on the One side to View the Oil Level. & Fill From this one. At Least Thats My Opinion. I,ll Enclose pics of Both of Mine. Hope it Helps & Best of luck. & Happy New Year . Bob

Attachments

• PC310002.JPG
    PC310002.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 453
  • PC310003.JPG
    PC310003.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 343
   / How to check / change oil in front axle #9  
Fill to half way up the axle shaft with 80w-90 gear oil. I've never seen a recommendation that says to use a hydraulic oil.

/ How to check / change oil in front axle #10  
Chris the odd looking one is a vent. All front ends and other gear boxes need a vent or they will build up pressure when they get hot which will push oil out of the seals. when they cool off they can pull water back in through the seals, like in a cold rain...........Larry