Installing A Circulating Heater Pump For Easier Start Up

/ Installing A Circulating Heater Pump For Easier Start Up #1  

ampa

Gold Member
Hi Guys...I have a ISEKI G174...I bought a 1000 watt heater type pump from NAPA yesterday that I want to plumb into the cooling system...it will circulate the w/antifreeze through the engine block and this is what I want it to do...I'll be piping it from the drain plug to this h/pumps input...but not too sure whether to connect the output to the lower hose or to the small bypass hose..I'd prefer this bypass rather than the lower hose as I don't wish to cut that one....just need it to circulate through the engine block....I don't wish to purchase the proper block heater that fits on the engine block by removin' the frost plug above the starter...I like best this one as it is a circulating type...and it will uniformly heat the w/antifreeze in the engine block....just need some advice to which would be the best bet to hookup the output of this heater to...Thanks in Advance AMPA:)

/ Installing A Circulating Heater Pump For Easier Start Up
I really need a response to my question soon...if I use the lower hose for a return.... instructions state that I'll need a saddle which is not included...and this would maybe mean cutting into this exspensive hose.....usin' the bypass from the thermostat housing to the waterpump usin the "Y" connector thats included makes more sense....this tractor is really very hard to start in the cold of winter up here in Ontario Canada...I can't use it next winter without a heater of some sort....if I can't I may as well sell it and buy a brand name GT tractor...Thanks any....AMPA

Okay I'll ask this question what size is the bypass hose /lower rad hose/block drain side plug....also need to know if they are standard or metric.....seems to me every bolt and nut on these tractors are in metric...this circulating pump/heater uses a 5/8 heater hose and I would believe the adapters are standard pipe thread......it seems to take long to get answers from this here forum....someone from PER sent me a link to this forum cause no one there even knows what an ISEKI looks like....Thanks in advance......take care....AMPA:)

/ Installing A Circulating Heater Pump For Easier Start Up #4  
Welcome Ampa , Sorry about Your Wait for info , It is Rather Lonelly in this section . :D . I Wished I could help But I,m not familiar with very many different models . You Might try to post it in the Parts & Repairs section as well, Seems to be a lot more help there untill Someone else comes around here that might Know . Best of luck. Bob

Thanks so much Bob for the reply...my questions just got easier....although I got the Repair manual which reads Bolens on the front cover....but gives me the TX and G models....the cooling system section does not mention hose sizes or the drain plug sizes.... to install this heater it needs a continues loop through the engine block only ... like input/ output so for example I want to connect the input of this unit from the exsisting drain plug on the side of this ISEKI G-174 3 cyl. diesel engine to the highest point which would be the small bypass hose.... this heater/pump is setup to take 5/8 heater hose/connectors e.t.c....I don't have the tractor here with me right now, as it's stored in a nieghbours garage and he comes and goes plus the weather here has not been too good for the last few days...once I get the sizes whether they are standard pipe thread or metric....I can gather up the needed materials to get this job finished as I have a lot of rewiring to do as this tractor only had one working light plus I need to rewire the added winch I installed for the front snow blade therefore leaving the hydraulics for the 3 point only....it worked okay for me but I have to install some type of switches so I won't have to monitor the raising and lowering of this 42" snowblade....AMPA:)

Last edited:
   / Installing A Circulating Heater Pump For Easier Start Up #6  
Hi AMPA, I went and looked at our circulating heater. It was installed by our dealer before we even took our tractor home. It is standard 5/8 heater hose, the input comes off the bottom of the rad and the output is into the side of the block. Both attachements look kind of like a "standard" barbed adapter where the hose pushes on an is hose clamped. Sorry if not much help.
Brent

Thanks a whole bunch Brent....this is good news to me as I was gonna' install it the other way around...I read the instructions and it states that the output must fit to a higher sourse of entery into the engine...which means the block drain must be higher in height than the lower hose input, makes perfect sense to me, if you don't mind me askin', does this heater pump of yours help any on starting your tractor in cold weather ?...if the answer is NO then I still have the option of returning mine to NAPA for a full refund, I almost forgot to ask, the connection from the lower rad hose is it some kind of a saddle connection, this is mentioned in the instruction booklet of this h/pump, but is not included in the kit, a pic of the lower rad hose connection, I don't really know what they mean by a saddle, this would be very helpful for me to see if this wouldn't be too much trouble for you Brent ...... thanks ever so much once again and take care...AMPA:)

Last edited:
   / Installing A Circulating Heater Pump For Easier Start Up #8  
I wil have a look tomorrow and try to get a couple of pics. It is fantastic. It makes all the difference. We used to have an air cooled tractor with multiple block heaters and it was always a struggle when it got below -30C. I have the recirc heater on one of those timers where it turns cycles on/off every 3hrs. I unplug it if we are not likely to need it but otherwise I leave it plugged in. I will even leave it plugged in as it gets warmer even though our Montana starts fine and runs well in the cold. Everything just warms up so much quicker I change to light oil for the winter and regular 15w40 for the summer.

Brent

/ Installing A Circulating Heater Pump For Easier Start Up #9  
[I still have the option of returning mine to NAPA for a full refund, /QUOTE]

It would be much easier to return the circulating heater and install a regular block heater or a lower rad hose in line heater. They will both do the job you require.

Hi Egon, yes this is what I was thinkin' but these ISEKI's have shallow blocks so if the block heater I get don't fit, I will have a frost plug to install if I could find one, and the lower rad hose is a bit iffy as well then I'd have a lower rad hose to replace, and at a $100 a shot I can't afford to do this if it don't work, Brent has one and his works okay, I don't intend to butcher the lower rad hose anyhow, someone from here made one up from two automotive type rad hose for the proper bends, there's always a way, I really like the idea of this circulating type heater, as Brent states, his works fine, anyhow thanks kindly for your input I know for the price of this one I could probley buy three block heaters, I guess one could say, a trial and error type installation for me this time round,. take care AMPA:)