Front End Weights

/ Front End Weights #1  

madchad

I'll been told not to use weights on the front of a 4 wheel drive tractor because it will wear out the axle. I have a Massey 1225 23 hp. My problem is that my front end will actually raise off the ground if I have a implement up while driving a hill or when I load it onto my trailer. My property has old farming terraces and when bushhogging uphill sometimes the front end bucks up. My buddy sometimes has to stand on the front end while I drive it on to the trailer. Do you think it would be ok to use weights on a limited basis for the situations that I have described, or would it be ok to keep a 100lb or so on the front end permanently?

/ Front End Weights #2  
I Cant see why not, Not much difference Between Weights & a Front end Loader full of dirt or Busted up Concrete & Carrying from one are to the Other IMO, & I,ve been doing that for Years without any Problems .

It Sounds a tad Dangerous to Me the Way its working for You now . Best of Luck, Bob

/ Front End Weights #3  
Hey there madchad. I would back up on your trailer when you don't have weights on. That is how I load backhoes. As for your cutter, can you mower with FEL or is the area to wooded?

Good friends are hard to find and harder to keep...especially on front of tractors going forward up hills with mower close behind. Darn good friend...send extra Christmas card to him. :laughing:

/ Front End Weights #4  
I'll been told not to use weights on the front of a 4 wheel drive tractor because it will wear out the axle.

In this case, it's a "rate-of-wear" issue more than anything else. Your front-end will eventually wear out with usage regardless. Higher loads and higher speeds = shorter life span in general, and, in extreme cases part failure due to excessive loading (probably not in this example though).

/ Front End Weights #5  
If you mount the weights to the wheels there will not be any excessive weight on the axle. The way these tractors are built unless you are popping wheelies and the front end is coming down hard I doubt if they would ever wear out because of a little extra weight on the front axle. It would take a lot of hours and I don't think anyone is using them that hard and that many hours.

/ Front End Weights #6  
HI,

I have close to 200lbs of weight on the front of my tractor, and Iseki use to sell them with the weights in some cases. Your safety is really paramount and the front ballast can prevent a roll over. As long as you keep your front end well greased, you should be fine. They make tough little tractors, and most larger AG tractorrs are sold with weights on the front, and 4WD. I have not regretted putting mine on one minute. Hope it works out for you!

/ Front End Weights #7  
Good points above. Putting the weights on the wheels is the better option if available. The only small drawback I've noticed is any added weight on the front, however it is attached, will result in more difficultly in turning (especially at a standstill) and more consequential stress/wear on steering components. I would recommend adding a reasonable amount of weight (<=300 lbs) despite the trade-offs.

/ Front End Weights #8  
NHmitch,
What type of weights do you have on your G154. I have a G174 I want to add weights to but I am unsure which ones to use.

/ Front End Weights #9  
Here are mine, made by previous owner, suitcase weights hang off of the front of our tractors just fine.

Attachments

• Front Weights 004.JPG
    Front Weights 004.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Front Weights 005.JPG
    Front Weights 005.JPG
    687.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Front Weights 006.JPG
    Front Weights 006.JPG
    697.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Front Weights 007.JPG
    Front Weights 007.JPG
    694 KB · Views: 109
   / Front End Weights #10  
This style of IH weights will hang on the front most tractors, look for them at local auctions for $10.00 to $70.00 each.

These are 60 pounds each, smaller ones might be needed for ours, however I did fit these on a IH 234 front "bumper"

Attachments

• side rsckd 1 015.JPG
    side rsckd 1 015.JPG
    711.7 KB · Views: 387