Waterpump

/ Waterpump #1  

Rusty9

Hello, i am looking for some suggestions for a problem with my waterpump on a TS1910. while mowing on a hot day it died from heat exhaustion i guess. checked water level to find none. started adding water to find it pouring out the side of the engine (frost plug blew out). i pounded the frost plug back in, topped up the water and fired her up. then i found a stream of water peeing out a little hole in the waterpump housing.

I have looked in my parts and shop manuals but cannot identify what this little hole is - or is for. it is underneath (on bottom) of where the fan shaft goes through the pump. one diagram shows a little "nipple" the other diagram does not. neither identify its purpose /part.

anyway water is coming out of there. could it be some kind of relief valve that blew?.
i am presuming my thermostat stuck or something.

Does anyone know what this little hole is and/or have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

Russ.

/ Waterpump #2  
Hello, i am looking for some suggestions for a problem with my waterpump on a TS1910. while mowing on a hot day it died from heat exhaustion i guess. checked water level to find none. started adding water to find it pouring out the side of the engine (frost plug blew out). i pounded the frost plug back in, topped up the water and fired her up. then i found a stream of water peeing out a little hole in the waterpump housing.

I have looked in my parts and shop manuals but cannot identify what this little hole is - or is for. it is underneath (on bottom) of where the fan shaft goes through the pump. one diagram shows a little "nipple" the other diagram does not. neither identify its purpose /part.

anyway water is coming out of there. could it be some kind of relief valve that blew?.
i am presuming my thermostat stuck or something.

Does anyone know what this little hole is and/or have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

Russ.

Hi Rusty, I'm pretty sure that little drain hole is standard on most water pumps, to let you know the bearing/packing/seal is failing. It needs to be either rebuilt or replaced with a new one. I would locate an on-line automotive water pump (or local in your area) rebuild service and have them rebuild it.

I have a TS1610F, same as yours with smaller fuel injectors. There is no, and never was any, thermostat (unless someone installed some aftermarket unit on yours). The cooling system just circulates freely, and does take longer to get up to operating temp than those that have them.

Bill

/ Waterpump
Thanks Bill, with no thermo i guess it was the little water hose that came off. i thought it must have blown off at the same time. i did not know there was no thermostat - i assumed there was because the manual i have for the tractor has a section on how to test them.

what about gaskets for reassembly. make my own or use the gasket in a tube stuff?

/ Waterpump #4  
Thanks Bill, with no thermo i guess it was the little water hose that came off. i thought it must have blown off at the same time. i did not know there was no thermostat - i assumed there was because the manual i have for the tractor has a section on how to test them.

what about gaskets for reassembly. make my own or use the gasket in a tube stuff?

If you have a shop manual, I would guess it's for a comparable Bolens G194? If so, that was the US market version of the Japanese market TS1910. The Bolens did have a thermostat, among other small differences. Different fuel injector pump, only two speeds on the PTO, and power steering was an option too (now that would be nice!).

For the water pump gasket, my personal preference would be to cut one out from reinforced paper gasket roll that you would get at NAPA. You could probably use a gasket eliminator (form-a-gasket) though.

/ Waterpump
update:

i inquired at several companies listed on the board and settled on Commercial Water Pump Rebuilders in Houston. They did not have a rebuilt one in stock ($130) but sold me a rebuild kit for $69.00. took about a week to get it up here to BC. Comes complete with gaskets and instructions. haven't decided whether to attempt myself or take to shop. i'll keep you posted. thanks for your help.

The only other response i recieved was a quote of $230 for new pump from southern global.

anyone know where to find a t-stat? may as well replace while i am at it. i couldn't find anything searching this site

/ Waterpump #6  
I could be Wrong , but I wasn,t aware They use thermostats . I Beleive someone on here said they dont anyway . Since they dont have heaters & a Fairlly low preasure system it was my understanding they are not needed . But I dont know for sure. Thanks for the info on the rebuild kit though. Bob

/ Waterpump
update: bearing received was wrong size 40mm instead of 35mm. the company i dealt with was awesome though - they sent out a replacement bearing at their cost. when it was taking too long i inquired again and they sent out another again at their cost. rare service these days... anyway, i also found a replacement thermostat and lower rad hose. the upper rad hose was just too expensive for me. $80.00 for a piece of rubber 4" long seemed too much. lower was $80.00 OEM and $40.00 aftermarket. while i was at it i had the radiator taken apart and cleaned out. new fan belt was generic size at local machine shop. waterpump gaskets come with kit. thermostat gasket was typical and also found at local machine shop. the tractor runs way cooler now even on very hot days. this was a fairly long and expensive process but worth it in the end.

Waterpump rebuild kit came from:

Commercial Water Pump Rebuilders
1151 West 22nd Street
Houston Texas 77008
eMail: ushudsons@yahoo.com
Phone: 713 864 5199

thermostat and rad hose came from:

Anna Acker
Southern Global
230 North Magnolia Drive
Wiggins, MS 39577
Phone: (601) 928-7491