Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #1  

ampa

Gold Member
I finally got a chance to change out the old hydraulic rear axle fluid..it came out a yellowish milky color...I turned over the engine with the starter but didn't start it to drain out the new 2 spool valve and two cylinder hydraulic ATV 48" snowblade installation...I think I got most of the old stuff out.. added the new fluid and run it for a while and checked out the hydraulics and everthing worked fine...checked the dipstick and it was clear...I still didn't find the filter screen...I may just install an external 10 micro filter to the "T" low pressure side....take care Ampa <>

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #2  
Ampa, the filter/screen on my 1500F is attached to the nut (bolt) that attaches the end of the suction line to the lift arm housing.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs
<>I undone the bolt on the suction tube but could not get it to come out....there seemed to be a piece of the rear axle housing stopping it from pulling it up and out...I gave up trying and tightened the bolt back up... regardless of the mentioned above issue everything works great after changing the hydraulic fluid.... maybe if I could see some pic's on how it comes out...can this screen still be removed after the new hydraulic fluid is added ?....thanks for the info....take care Ampa <>

Last edited:
   / Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #4  
Your project seems to be coming along nicely. New was probably the right way to go for the fittings.

I just noticed the transmission fluid on my G174 is looking milky. With what did you replace the old stuff?

Thanks,

Rod

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs
Hi Rod....Milky color means there's water in your hydraulic fluid...with exception of some water I dumped in by accident(a long story) in mine when I first bought it... it already contained a certain amount of water that entered through a torn and rotted shifter boot...

the original owner had installed the bottom section from a plastic drink bottle I left this as is and added a rubberized piece and run some caulking around the whole thing.... seems to be doin' the job of keepin' water from runnin' down...

I'm gonna' look around for something better...I shouldn't have any issues now that the tractor is inside our garage...you need to buy a hydraulic type gear oil if your tractor has rear hydraulics like mine which I assume yours has....I bought mine from Princess Auto on sale@$20.00 plus tax for 10 liters....I bought two jugs....and I used about 1 jug and a 1/2... I probley overfilled it.... went by what I drained out which was a full 10 liters....I've no clue to how much extra the added hydraulic system takes....

plus the fact I lost quite a lot of fluid when the first valve spool blew(my fault of course for not following J_J's instructions:D)...less the fact my PTO leaked really bad everytime I used my old finish mower all last year.. seems as long as I don't connect anything to the PTO in don't leak nothin'....I recently sold the finish mower.....plus removed most of the 3 pt. hitch no need right now to use the multispeed PTO.....

"Rod" I'll post a new thread with a pic of the same brand/type that I used....

For all you recent G-174 BOLEN/ISEKI owners...what you should know..(TIP). check the dipstick which is located @ the side/edge of the transmission casing/housing and do this before starting and runnin' the tractor to see if it's clear(which it should be)...

then drive it around a bit to churn up the old hydraulic fluid... then check it again....if the fluid contains any amount of water it will be a yellowish milky color....$40-90 for new fluid is way cheaper than replacing/rebuilding a trans/rear axle (gears bearings etc.)... take care...... Ampa <> :)

Last edited:
   / Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #6  
Ampa, will try and get you pictures of the screen shortly.
Been pretty busy with work and hunting lately.
Yes, you can remove the screen after adding new fluid.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #7  
On mine the suction filter is on the end of the suction pipe banjo that screws in to the transmision case but to change it will require draining down most of the oil again

I had to buy a new one as the last owner had removed the fine wire filter from the fitting

But there is nothing to stop you catching it and putting it back in as long as it is clean

I had the same problem with water in the oil as the tractor had live out in the rain with no gear stick gaiter i slipped a steering rack gaiter over the stick and it has been fine since

I am just about to drain the oils again and service it for the second time as i have owned it now for 12 months

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #8  
Bumping an ancient, ancient thread in case anyone one is still around and kicking.

My goal tomorrow is to replace the transmission oil in my Bolens G154 (one size down from the G174). I identified what I think are the two rear drainplugs (square heads) and the one side plug (hex head which looks like the engine oil plug). I hope to check the hydraulic fluid (transmission gear oil) strainer at the same time since I could not source it. I am going with Valvoline 75W-90 gear oil in the transmission and Amsoil 75W-90 gear oils in the front bevel and knuckles. No reason on switching to Valvoline other than the price pucker factor of 3 gallons of Amsoil for the trans. G154 had been sitting outdoors for 10 years but started right up after diesel replacement (discard old), bleeding injectors and installing a new battery.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #9  
Be carful when removing the strainer, thats where the damage could occur from memory, its a tight fit, you are correct with your findings, 2 drain plugs in the axles and the Hex drain plug, I removed the gear oil and added hydraulic oil to my back end as I have a loaded fitted, just a thought if you were going to be using the hydraulics.

/ Bolens G-174 has a side transmission drain plug and two rear axle plugs #10  
I might skip replacing the filter if it is a tight fit since the 3 point is fast which should mean the screen is okay (or missing I guess). I need to replace the shifter boot. The knob on the shifter doesn't seem to thread off. Do you know if it a press on?