Bolens G174 slight howl in front end

/ Bolens G174 slight howl in front end #1  

Rod in Forfar

Platinum Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 35DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510, 2020 Kioti Mechron 2200ps UTV Troy-Bilt Horse 2 1988 Case IH 255 4WD with loader and cab
The tractor is a 4WD, 17 hp Iseki/Bolens, 1981.

The problem seems cold-related, and bearing-related, insofar as it only zings when the clutch is out. Otherwise I'd say it's from the hydraulic pump, as that's where the sounds seems to originate. Seeking water in the fluid I drained the tranny only to find it was pretty good. No luck there. Is there an area in the front end prone to icing I should drain and refill?

Thanks,

Rod

/ Bolens G174 slight howl in front end
I drained the gear cases at the front wheels and refilled them with 85W140. Inboard from that, on my tractor there are grease fittings on top of the big mellons instead of fill-plugs, and when I removed the drains nothing came out. Maybe the seals were old and a previous owner went to grease. I pumped forty strokes from my grease gun into each and went on.

The surprise came when I decided to drain the forward diff while I was in there. When I had checked the oil initially it looked as though it was full, but when I took out the drain plug, very little came out, maybe a quarter-litre. So I carefully poured in a litre of tranny fluid and tried it out. The gear train is much quieter now with its new lube. The sound pattern has moved around to other little noises, but all in all it's a lot better.

QUESTION: The forward drive shaft goes into a neat little metal boot and then joins onto the forward diff. There's a 17 mm drain plug at the bottom of that boot. There was almost no oil in the boot when I pulled the plug.

From where does the lubricant come to protect the universal joints in this tube? Is the drive shaft hollow to allow oil to trickle forward from the rear transmission? Are you supposed to squeeze gear oil up in there like on the lower unit of an outboard motor? Is there a fill point I missed?

Thanks,

Rod

/ Bolens G174 slight howl in front end #3  
I have the repair manual for the G-174.....but I don't think it tells too much...at least it's in english....I'm not too good at readin' books....I like pictures....looks like mines a photostat copy....can't complain it came with my tractor.....reads BOLENS on the cover then the list of modle numbers....Ampa

/ Bolens G174 slight howl in front end #4  
They have a manual for free download on this website. www.sonnysbolens.com click where it says parts for bolen and iseki tractors

/ Bolens G174 slight howl in front end #5  
The parts you greased are just the king pins there is oil in the gear housing just behind the wheel it is easier to get at with the wheel off

I seem to remember it is about 250ml each side from when i serviced mine last month then there is oil in the bevel case as well just under a litre

The front axle will only make a noise when moving not when you let the clutch up

But you may have ment that

I just assumed you mean that it will do it in nuetral as well

See also my post on clutch troubles

/ Bolens G174 slight howl in front end #6  
Hi just reed post 2 again seems you did oil the gear housing

The front uj has a cover to keep the dust off not to sure if you are ment to oil it or not but i just pull the nylon bush at the top end and let a little oil in there

What harm can it do:thumbsup:

the top uj is sealed for life on mine

/ Bolens G174 slight howl in front end
The howl seems entirely related to cold. If the temperature is much below freezing, it howls like a banshee. If it's near to or above freezing, it throbs along quite contentedly.

Now that it's spring, the problem has gone away.

/ Bolens G174 slight howl in front end #8  
I am looking for a front end for a G174 or the pinion gear assembly to repair mine.