Help with TU1700 Leak

/ Help with TU1700 Leak #1  

Marada

Tractor
Iseki 1700F
Winter was not kind to my Iseki. I was using it to get rid of snow when I noticed a puddle of oil underneath. I checked the hydraulic/transmission fluid and it was way low. Parked it and the next day, purchased a 5 gallons of fluid. As soon as I poured it in, it started leaking again. Got it home and parked it. The weather was just too cold to look at it. Finally got a chance today and Crap, there is a half inch hole in the case. I did see what looks to be a bolt laying across the hole. So I'll be removing the top to fish it out. The big question is, can this be JB Welded? The case is cast so I don't think it can be welded. And a new case not only would be hard to find but pretty pricy I'm guessing.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Help with TU1700 Leak #2  
Sorry to here about your bad luck . Your going to have to be more specific as to exactlly where the hole is ( trans or diff ) & to what have may have caused it , is it round, square, jagged edge , does it pour out or just seep or could it be a drain hole of some type ? Do you remember hitting something that could have knocked a whole in it ?

Not sure if I understand about the bolt laying across the hole :confused:. If you could take some pics showing it would be easier to give an opinion . ;)

/ Help with TU1700 Leak #3  
I would guess that bolt is what knocked the hole in the case. Check EVERYTHING inside for a missing bolt, and in fact, check all the other bolts while you are in there. IF you can clean the surfaces really clean and oil free, JB Weld would probably hold.

/ Help with TU1700 Leak
I'll try and get a picture taken this weekend. It looked like a bolt but I was not able to get it turned enough to come out the hole. It has to be the tranmission. I'll remove the top cover and see what I can see. I wouldn't think there would be anything bolted in the transmission. But the only other way a bolt could have got in there is if it were dropped down the fill opening. The hole looks like what you'd see when you shoot a window with a BB gun. Feathers out from the hole. My plan is to remove the top cover and remove the object. Try to cover the hole from the inside with something. Drill little pilot holes where the hole feathers out. Fill the hole with JB Weld. Place some plastic wrap over that and use a board to keep the JB Weld in place till it hardens. Sand that all smooth then JB Weld a scrap piece of metal over all that.

/ Help with TU1700 Leak #5  
I'll try and get a picture taken this weekend. It looked like a bolt but I was not able to get it turned enough to come out the hole. It has to be the tranmission. I'll remove the top cover and see what I can see. I wouldn't think there would be anything bolted in the transmission. But the only other way a bolt could have got in there is if it were dropped down the fill opening. The hole looks like what you'd see when you shoot a window with a BB gun. Feathers out from the hole. My plan is to remove the top cover and remove the object. Try to cover the hole from the inside with something. Drill little pilot holes where the hole feathers out. Fill the hole with JB Weld. Place some plastic wrap over that and use a board to keep the JB Weld in place till it hardens. Sand that all smooth then JB Weld a scrap piece of metal over all that.

Thanks for the explanation Marada , Now I'd really like to see some pics :D , That does sound odd for sure . I'll have to look at a few different manuals, but like you I find it hard to beleive the bolt came from the inside in the transmission . But it sure sounds like you have a good plan on the repair . :thumbsup:

If You could take a few different pics of the steps in pulling the top off & the inside of the gearbox it might be helpfull to others . Pictures are worth a thousand words especially on these Iseki's because there are so darn many different models ;) . I'm looking forward to the outcome and best of luck on the repair . :)

/ Help with TU1700 Leak
It finally warmed up enough to allow me to dig into the leak. I've attached a picture of the damage. Now I have my 1st problem. How do you remove the shifter. I loosened the bolt that appears to hold it to the shaft but after tapping with a hammer it will not budge. I've attached a pic of what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• trac 001 (Medium).jpg
    trac 001 (Medium).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 211
  • trac 002 (Medium).jpg
    trac 002 (Medium).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 190
   / Help with TU1700 Leak
Hurrah, got the shifter off. Patience, WD40 and time. So here is what I'm up against. I've attached a picture showing where the hole is and the only way I can access the bottom of the housing. I probed the hole with a piece of wire and can hear the object moving around. So I guess I'll go buy a flexible magnet or parts grabber and see if I can pull it out. If I'm not able too, can the gears be removed?

Attachments

• trac 003 (Medium).jpg
    trac 003 (Medium).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 203
   / Help with TU1700 Leak
I got it out with a small magnet. It's a 7/16's bolt about an inch and a quarter long. I'll get a picture on it this weekend. It came out intact other then being beat up. And I can find no damage to the gears.

/ Help with TU1700 Leak #10  
I'm glad you got it out . After looking at the pics is it posible the bolt is the same size as the bolts that hold the top cover on ? Maybe from a prior repair it was dropped in & they just said the heck with it & replaced it with another bolt . I just can't imagine it coming from the inside . :confused: