Seat on 1981 Bolens G-174 is too hard!

/ Seat on 1981 Bolens G-174 is too hard! #1  

Rod in Forfar

Platinum Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 35DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510, 2020 Kioti Mechron 2200ps UTV Troy-Bilt Horse 2 1988 Case IH 255 4WD with loader and cab
It's the original seat, in good condition, but it's missing the rear pad which sits underneath to cushion the seat pan from the frame, so it's harsh enough that I add a pair of pillows when working on rough ground.

Someone here suggested a new seat, so I tried today at TSC. That was an eye-opener. The metal-pan generic seat with foam over it was the right size and shape, but all it had was holes tapped for hardware below. My seat pivots forward on two fittings 7" apart with a pin between them.

I thought I would just make the fittings and bolt them into place. I'm a good woodworker. But it wouldn't work. I would have to drive studs down through the thick part of the angle iron, no matter how well I made the pieces.

Can I buy the spring that goes on the back of the seat pan to take the shock away from my poor old spine? Failing that, is there a replacement seat which has the hardware to fit my tractor? Or even a kit so I can make the generic seat fit?

Thanks,

Rod

/ Seat on 1981 Bolens G-174 is too hard! #2  
Is it a flip seat? We have a parts catalog on our website in which you can see the seat we have, as well as some seat hardware....might be what you need. Around pages 145-146.

/ Seat on 1981 Bolens G-174 is too hard! #3  
It does take a little work - when the seat finaly fell apart on mine (nearly fell off the tractor when the mounts gave out!), I had to cut a plate and drill holes to match the replacement seat, then weld that to the original pivot mount. It worked pretty good except I was a little bit off when it was all done - the rear sat down a bit lower than I intended and I eneded up shimming it with a slice of 3/8 plywood --- good enough for the old tartcor that it is.

/ Seat on 1981 Bolens G-174 is too hard!
Is it a flip seat? We have a parts catalog on our website in which you can see the seat we have, as well as some seat hardware....might be what you need. Around pages 145-146.

Thank you for the link. It makes more sense now that I have seen a diagram. I guess the first step is to see if I left a set of brackets at the store. The likely next step will be to find parts in this catalogue.

Rod