Mowing Wet turf and the Bolens G174

/ Wet turf and the Bolens G174 #1  

Rod in Forfar

Platinum Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 35DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510, 2020 Kioti Mechron 2200ps UTV Troy-Bilt Horse 2 1988 Case IH 255 4WD with loader and cab
This morning at 5:30 three robins, two starlings and a blue jay converged around a dry puddle on the driveway and acted as though they couldn't believe their fountain had dried up. It was quite a show as the thirsty birds did their best despairing tricks, peeking among the pebbles for just one more drop.

It's been very wet here. Yesterday after a narrow escape from mud, I parked the TAFE 35DI tractor and continued mowing the small fields below the barn with the much lighter Bolens G174. With its turf tires and 4WD it was able to work effectively on soggy land which would stick a conventional tractor.

The Bolens has been doing the bulk of the work around the trees this spring. The surprise was that it can handle tall vegetation with its 4' rotary mower every bit as well as the 35 hp TAFE with its 5' model, though with less ground speed and a penalty in operator comfort. Its lower body lets it get under many of the overhanging branches of the walnut and butternut trees which would be damaged by a similar approach by a larger tractor.

At work the Bolens burns a litre per hour. I'm starting my second 20-litre can of diesel this morning since it stopped raining three days ago.