Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default how come my oil is green?

Looked a little deeper into the troubled 1502 engine. Drained the oil, getting rid of the incredibly heavy sludge that was in there when I got the tractor.
    I noticed a green tint to the oil. Uh, oh. I opened up the radiator cap and the level was way, way down. Took nearly the whole gallon jug to fill it up. After a time lag of about a minute or so, out came a pretty heavy stream of green stuff from the crankcase drain plug hole. I bet it was the anti-freeze....and, it is.

Water pump shot? Head gasket shot? Both shot?

Your replies are sought. thanks all

Gold Member

Default Re: how come my oil is green?

First guess ( in order of cost) would be head gasket, head or shudder...block. Can't see it being the water pump

Silver Member

First guess in order of cost? Why not first guess in order of expected causation based on higher probablity of the event first happening?

Tractor
    Farmall SuperA

water pump I believe leaks onto the ground and not into oil.
    no idea on cost of gasket/s needed possibilities of crack block or head to watch out for.
    IMO [no expert here] that is maybe why the oil was so sludgy, been that way for some time.
    good luck
    2nd owner of a 1951 SuperA

Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

Quote Originally Posted by msjanket View Post
    Looked a little deeper into the troubled 1502 engine. Drained the oil, getting rid of the incredibly heavy sludge that was in there when I got the tractor.
    I noticed a green tint to the oil. Uh, oh. I opened up the radiator cap and the level was way, way down. Took nearly the whole gallon jug to fill it up. After a time lag of about a minute or so, out came a pretty heavy stream of green stuff from the crankcase drain plug hole. I bet it was the anti-freeze....and, it is.

Water pump shot? Head gasket shot? Both shot?

Your replies are sought. thanks all
    Leaking at that rate.... my guess a cracked block.
    Is that an isuzu diesel?

Tractor
    Farmall SuperA

think I saw its a Mitsu
    I was thinking of the Iseka, recently had my hands on a bad water pump from g214 iseka I do not ever recall seeing a water pump that could leak into crankcase on anything of course I have not see everything either

First guess in order of cost? Why not first guess in order of expected causation based on higher probablity of the event first happening?
    That is 'exactly' what I was thinking - you beat me to it.
    Nelson
    Central Maine

Silver Member

I have the K3a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder engine. Not Isuzu.

For a cracked block to leak, you need, virtually, a chunk torn out of the casting. The hole would have to be around 1/4" in diameter. IN my experience, most of the cracks I've seen have been narrow and did not gush high volumes.Not a head gasket, I think judging from the fact I put in a full gallon of glycol mix and it all went out it would have to be compromised pretty far down the engine, like at the level of the water pump. Where do most engines like this crack when they crack? It would obviously have to be an internal crack as no water was seen on the outside of the block. IF the block was cracked, that is.

Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

I have the K3a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder engine. Not Isuzu.

For a cracked block to leak, you need, virtually, a chunk torn out of the casting. The hole would have to be around 1/4" in diameter. IN my experience, most of the cracks I've seen have been narrow and did not gush high volumes.Not a head gasket, I think judging from the fact I put in a full gallon of glycol mix and it all went out it would have to be compromised pretty far down the engine, like at the level of the water pump. Where do most engines like this crack when they crack? It would obviously have to be an internal crack as no water was seen on the outside of the block. IF the block was cracked, that is.
    Doesn't much matter where the crack is, or if it is. I think it's time to pull the head and get to where the problems lie. See if you can get pricing on a new engine. I don't think you want to buy parts if you can avoid it.
    I think parts for that engine mught be kind of pricey. just guessin

Tractor
    Farmall SuperA

maybe someone with a mitsubishi-satoh knows something more bout your engine it appears to have been used several tractors could be some different parts
    Mitsubishi/Satoh - TractorByNet.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast