how come my oil is green?

/ how come my oil is green? #1  

msjanket

Silver Member
Looked a little deeper into the troubled 1502 engine. Drained the oil, getting rid of the incredibly heavy sludge that was in there when I got the tractor.
I noticed a green tint to the oil. Uh, oh. I opened up the radiator cap and the level was way, way down. Took nearly the whole gallon jug to fill it up. After a time lag of about a minute or so, out came a pretty heavy stream of green stuff from the crankcase drain plug hole. I bet it was the anti-freeze....and, it is.

Water pump shot? Head gasket shot? Both shot?

Your replies are sought. thanks all

/ how come my oil is green? #2  
First guess ( in order of cost) would be head gasket, head or shudder...block. Can't see it being the water pump

/ how come my oil is green?
First guess in order of cost? Why not first guess in order of expected causation based on higher probablity of the event first happening?

/ how come my oil is green? #4  
water pump I believe leaks onto the ground and not into oil.
no idea on cost of gasket/s needed possibilities of crack block or head to watch out for.
IMO [no expert here] that is maybe why the oil was so sludgy, been that way for some time.
good luck

/ how come my oil is green? #5  
Looked a little deeper into the troubled 1502 engine. Drained the oil, getting rid of the incredibly heavy sludge that was in there when I got the tractor.
I noticed a green tint to the oil. Uh, oh. I opened up the radiator cap and the level was way, way down. Took nearly the whole gallon jug to fill it up. After a time lag of about a minute or so, out came a pretty heavy stream of green stuff from the crankcase drain plug hole. I bet it was the anti-freeze....and, it is.

Water pump shot? Head gasket shot? Both shot?

Your replies are sought. thanks all
Leaking at that rate.... my guess a cracked block.
Is that an isuzu diesel?

/ how come my oil is green? #6  
think I saw its a Mitsu
I was thinking of the Iseka, recently had my hands on a bad water pump from g214 iseka I do not ever recall seeing a water pump that could leak into crankcase on anything of course I have not see everything either

/ how come my oil is green? #7  
First guess in order of cost? Why not first guess in order of expected causation based on higher probablity of the event first happening?

That is 'exactly' what I was thinking - you beat me to it.

/ how come my oil is green?
I have the K3a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder engine. Not Isuzu.

For a cracked block to leak, you need, virtually, a chunk torn out of the casting. The hole would have to be around 1/4" in diameter. IN my experience, most of the cracks I've seen have been narrow and did not gush high volumes.Not a head gasket, I think judging from the fact I put in a full gallon of glycol mix and it all went out it would have to be compromised pretty far down the engine, like at the level of the water pump. Where do most engines like this crack when they crack? It would obviously have to be an internal crack as no water was seen on the outside of the block. IF the block was cracked, that is.

/ how come my oil is green? #9  
I have the K3a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder engine. Not Isuzu.

For a cracked block to leak, you need, virtually, a chunk torn out of the casting. The hole would have to be around 1/4" in diameter. IN my experience, most of the cracks I've seen have been narrow and did not gush high volumes.Not a head gasket, I think judging from the fact I put in a full gallon of glycol mix and it all went out it would have to be compromised pretty far down the engine, like at the level of the water pump. Where do most engines like this crack when they crack? It would obviously have to be an internal crack as no water was seen on the outside of the block. IF the block was cracked, that is.
Doesn't much matter where the crack is, or if it is. I think it's time to pull the head and get to where the problems lie. See if you can get pricing on a new engine. I don't think you want to buy parts if you can avoid it.
I think parts for that engine mught be kind of pricey. just guessin