KE70 engine low power?

/ KE70 engine low power?
Exhaust gasketing and manifold begs of more questions. I'd have to say the manifold came off another engine although I'm surprised the bolt pattern matches so well. Apparently if the gasket bolt holes line up it's "good enough" - and even if the gasket was meant for the other side (or rotated 180 degrees) this is what I saw upon disassembly. I ended up grinding the rectangular pattern into the manifold to match the new gasket to help things out. We'll see what happens...

Attachments

• Original exhaust gasket on manifold.jpg
    Original exhaust gasket on manifold.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 328
  • Original exhaust gasket.jpg
    Original exhaust gasket.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 351
  • New exhaust gasket.jpg
    New exhaust gasket.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 389
  • New exhaust gasket on manifold.jpg
    New exhaust gasket on manifold.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
   / KE70 engine low power?
Crank pin journals check out ok - less than 0.001" wear. Need new piston rod bearings though as I can see some copper/grooving showing in the existing bearings and they are about 0.004" out of spec on wear. Rings check out as far as gap and side clearance although the ring thickness and piston groove dimension are not what I have listed in the service manual (both much less) so I'm a little wary of getting replacement rings since they won't even fit in the piston groove according to the literature I have. Both top piston rings show damage on the bottom sides. I think I'm just going to flip them over (keep the good side down on the ring groove) and re-hatch the cylinder and go from there.

Also found where previous repairman must have lost a rod nut and replaced it with a smaller one :confused2:

Oh, and the ring gaps were not staggerd like they should have been. Top two ring gaps were nearly in-line, the 3rd was about 180 degrees out on both pistons. I didn't really pay attention to the oil ring placement but will stagger all gaps 90 degrees upon reassembly as shown in the manual.

Attachments

• KE70 Bottom side of top ring.jpg
    KE70 Bottom side of top ring.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 543
   / KE70 engine low power? #33  
Hmm, almost sounds like one of those Chinese rebuilt grey-market jobs, there. What a situation.

/ KE70 engine low power?
Hmm, almost sounds like one of those Chinese rebuilt grey-market jobs, there. What a situation.

Yeah, it's definately grey-market. Not sure where the repairs were made. Tractor has a California tractor shop sticker on it.

/ KE70 engine low power?
Well got it running again but very little improvement in performance was noticed. The good news is that the blowby went down to almost nothing and both cylinders read almost the same compression now - 320 psig after eight cranks and both top out at 390 psig after about 16 cranks.

I'm not really sure what to try next - maybe my expectations are too high for this motor but I don't really have anything to compare it to other than my craftsman riding mower which I think runs circles around this as far as acceleration and power goes. I realize the riding mower is half of the tractors weight and is rated at 7 more hp but I would expect the diesel to be much closer in low end torque and acceleration which it certainly is not.

It seems like it shudders in neutral under acceleration (I'll get a video of this). When I go to full throttle in 6th gear it just puffs black smoke and it doesn't even get louder like most diesels I'm familiar with with almost no acceleration.

I'll see if I can upload a couple videos of it running when I get a chance - probably in a couple weeks as I'll be out for work stuff. Maybe then someone can confirm or deny it running properly based on their experience with these engines.

/ KE70 engine low power?
Tried to upload .mpg videos. Looks like the site sees them as invalid. I'll have to find another way...

/ KE70 engine low power?
Does anyone have an experience with the governor control system on the KE70/5? It seems like I may have an issue with that but I don't know of a good way to test it. I've noticed that the "fork" that connects the the IP rack is quite loose (you can move the fork really easily back and forth about 3/4")when the pump is removed. In fact, the spring that is attached to the throttle handle linkage inside the gear case only starts to tension up at full throttle and it tends to follow the throttle handle rather than the governor. Shouldn't the governor be trying to put the rack at the full position when the engine is off? I'd like to think there is something wrong here, but the engine seems to respond to throttle commands just fine although it's hard to tell if the governor is compensating at all. I guess I need to know if the governor spring is just there to compensate for a "hyper-extended" throttle handle or if the spring should always be under tension during normal operation (?).

The service manual tends to shy away from governor specifications and only makes statements like - if part "X" of the governor system is "bad" then replace it which is of very little use to me. Oh, and the spring is designated as "specific to the application" in the parts manual so I wouldn't even know what one to replace it with if I thought it was bad. Also, my electronic copy of my service manual is missing Figure 10 which diagrams the governor parts which is inconvenient at this point.

It would be great to know what the position of the rack is at any given time, but I don't know of a handy way to do this. I even thought of mounting a small battery powered wireless camera in the voids in the gearcase to see what is going on in there but that is kind of a crazy impractical idea - and I don't believe the signal would travel through the metal anyway (Faraday cage?). Getting wires out for a slide resistor and such things also seems difficult. Any suggestions?

/ KE70 engine low power?
Finally got a replacement spring today for the governor control. Although somebody has clearly tampered with the original spring, it is close enough in spec. that I don't believe it to be the culprit. I guess I'm back to injector timing and I'll do my best to check/correct it going back together. The only other thing I think could be wrong is possibly the keyways are slopped out/have been altered (why wouldn't this surprise me?) and that is throwing off timing between the crank and cam slightly. I probably won't pursue that theory as it is more than I want to get in to. For future reference, a "good" spring has a free length of 82.5 mm and a spring constant of 6200 N/m.

Attachments

• New old spring comparison.jpg
    New old spring comparison.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 264
  • New spring free length.jpg
    New spring free length.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 323
   / KE70 engine low power?
Well after checking valve timing and confirming IP timing things are back together and still the same results. Here's a youtube video trying to start at 20 deg F - throttle at 3/4 full, going to full throttle helps some but pretty much same thing. Glow plugs (new and tested) were on for about 20 seconds before the first attempt and about 10 seconds between attempts. I've watched a few diesel cold starts on youtube and it seems like either the engine fires and runs or does not fire. This one acts like it's "kind of firing" - and some black smoke which I would think is good. Has anyone experienced this before? The pump has just been gone through and I have new injector nozzles although this doesn't necessarily mean either are correct.

So... anyone wanna take a stab at it and diagnose it as low compression or fuel issue (or other?) Other symptoms include poor acceleration and weak low end power (low torque). Top end seems pretty good. Engine does start ok when hot and will eventually start after continued cranking. Valve clearance has been correctly set. Thanks in advance.

TX1300 cold start 20 deg F.mpg - YouTube

/ KE70 engine low power? #40  
Mine does the same black smoke thing. I preheat for about 15-20 seconds, and try to start. At the first puff of black smoke, I go back to preheat the glow plugs for an additional 10-15 seconds (glowing red resistor) and then 1/4 throttle and it will start right off.