Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help #1  

wills 50

Tractor
iseki tu 318f
Hi All
Have just bought a Iseki TU318 3 cyl tractor that needs a few jobs doing. I need to undo the chrankshaft bolt to put in a front oil seal and don't know if its left or right hand thread; I don't want to break anything?

This is my first post, so thanks for your help.

PS I do have a parts manaul in Pdf, if anyone wants a free copy e-mail me.

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help #2  
There should be enough of the threads showing to "trace" them around with a fingernail or edge to see if they are right- or left- hand. I just pulled apart the front of the engine on a TX1300 (Mitsubishi KE70) and it was regular right-hand threaded. The motor turns clockwise facing the front of the engine (looking into the fan) so I guess left-handed threads may have been a better choice in this case but that wasn't used. I used an impact wrench on the front crankshaft nut since there is no good way (that I know of) of holding the crankshaft with the motor installed in the tractor. I still put the transmission (gear drive) into the highest gear and set the brake to help hold the crank as much as possible. It came apart fine. Hope this helps some.

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help
Thank's Ilikeurtractor, thats a good tip, but it is a bolt not a nut!
I got it as a non-runner so don't know which way the motor turns for sure.

Cheers Will

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help #4  
Darn, yeah a bolt makes it tougher. Maybe someone else can comment who has the same engine.

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help #5  
Thank's Ilikeurtractor, thats a good tip, but it is a bolt not a nut!
I got it as a non-runner so don't know which way the motor turns for sure.

Cheers Will

If you look at the fan blades you can tell which way the motor is meant to turn. The fan should always pull air through the radiator and onto the motor. Unfortunately that won't help much with the crank bolt threads though.

As a last resort, if nobody can give you an answer, I would assume it to be right-handed and try a 1/2" drive impact and see what happens. I know my impact wrench is not powerful enough to do damage in my opinion if I had it set the wrong way unless I ran it for a long time (over 30 seconds?). Again, I'm not saying you should attempt this because I can't guarantee it won't cause damage, but if you can't find an answer it may be worth the risk if you must get into the motor to get it running again. Mine came apart in about 3-4 seconds of rattling on the highest torque setting for a 36 mm nut. Unfortunately I don't know what the torque is at the highest setting and 100 psig air but it is a Husky brand 1/2" impact wrench. I would think your engine, being bigger, may require more time but I can only speculate...

The next problem I'll have is getting the nut torqued back on. Since I cannot secure the crank, I'll have to rattle it for 3-4 seconds on the highest wrench setting and hope for the best.

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help #6  
As I think more about this, if you have a way to hold the crankshaft and a suitable torque wrench, you could mark the bolt head to what it mates to with a sharpie pen or scribe and then turn up the torque wrench fairly high - say 150 ft-lbs and attempt to "loosen" the bolt. If the torque wrench clicks and the scribe mark has moved, then you're probably going the wrong way. The theory here is that if the bolt begins to move the torque should go down fairly quickly (if it's loosening) and you won't get your "click" - only a loosened bolt. If it clicks and the mark hasn't moved, then turn up the torque wrench more until you get relative movement on the mark or try the opposite direction. I don't know if most torque wrenches work both ways though.

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help #7  
Hi, i have the tu318, its been problematic from the start! no diff lock, now the clutch wont engage. I.d really appreciate the manual if you could email it to me.
thanks
regards
sean

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help #8  
hi could i take you up on the kind offer of a copy of the manual, please !?

sdlepage@yahoo.com

many thanks

simon

/ Iseki TU318 Chrankshaft bolt help #9  
Hi All
Have just bought a Iseki TU318 3 cyl tractor that needs a few jobs doing. I need to undo the chrankshaft bolt to put in a front oil seal and don't know if its left or right hand thread; I don't want to break anything?

This is my first post, so thanks for your help.

PS I do have a parts manaul in Pdf, if anyone wants a free copy e-mail me.

Hi,
could i take you up on the kind offer of a copy of the manual, please !?

hornet919@gmail.com
many thanks

Dario