K3A Engine

/ K3A Engine #1  

flyer61

Tractor
Bolens G152 TX1502 JD2025
Anyone out there know if a Mitsubishi K3B engine will swap out with a K3A without much of a problem?

I've got a Bolens TX1502 (Iseki TX2140T) that has the K3A engine. Research has shown me that there are relatively few K3A engine applications out there but there seems to be quite a few with the K3B. As far as I can tell the only major difference between these two engines is the slightly larger bore of the K3B. They seem to be from the same engine family and almost identical. I was thinking the K3B should bolt right up in place of the K3A.

Haven't had any issues yet with my K3A but was just thinking of buying another engine to have around for spares or replacement and thought the K3B might be a viable alternative. Any thoughts or experience with this would be greatly appreciated before I spend the money. Thanks.

P.S. I'm looking for a good used rear mount 48" cat. 1 snowblower for this tractor. If anyone has one they would like to sell plz let me know.

/ K3A Engine #2  
I can't confirm absolutely, but I would say that they are interchangeable.

On a similar note, I'm gearing up to swap out a KE70 with a KE75 I've come across that I know runs well. I haven't yet to compare the engines side-by-side, but from everything I can tell, they're identical blocks.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

/ K3A Engine #3  
Both swaps should work fine.

/ K3A Engine #4  
Both swaps should work fine.

How about installing a K3x engine where a KE7x once was and vice versa? Are the clutch housings and frame mounts the same? I suspect the 3 cylinder engines to be a fair amount longer. One would probably need different hydraulic lines at a minimum.

/ K3A Engine
Thanks for the input folks! If and when the time comes that I can find a good used K3B reasonably priced, I'll probably pick one up, just to have around for an emergency if nothing else.

Lens12, do you know of any tech drawings available that someone could look up and compare these different engine models? That way someone like myself or ilikeyourtractor could compare the required aspects and make an informed decision before spending the money on an engine that may or may not fill the needed? Thanks :thumbsup:

/ K3A Engine #6  
I don't know of any tech drawings. When I've asked my distributer what will interchange, they usually don't know. When installing a K3x engine where a KE7x once was and vice versa, the clutch housings are the same, but frame mounts are different. & would need different hydraulic lines. I have a good K3B or K3C out of a Case tractor.

/ K3A Engine #7  
Thanks lens for the info. I never really planned on doing a K3 series in place of a KE series, but it's always nice to know in case the situation comes up.

/ K3A Engine #8  
just wanted to reply as I own a Bolens G152 with a K3a and a White field Boss 16 4wd with a K3b. Per the Iskei manual, the only real difference is in the cylinder head. All other part numbers are the same! Hop this helps. Jim

/ K3A Engine #9  
[snip] the only real difference is in the cylinder head.

Also note the cylinder bores are different and I would suspect the injection pumps are slightly different (internally) as well.

/ K3A Engine #10  
piston, rings, rods, injector pump are different.