Hydraulic fluid question for my Bolens G154/TX1300F

/ Hydraulic fluid question for my Bolens G154/TX1300F #1  

NHmitch

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bolens G154/IsekiTX1300F
Hi,
I have a general question if anyone knows the answer, because I have not been able to find a ton of information in my repair and operators manual. I have not changed the hydraulic fluid in the rear of the tractor since I have owned it. The manual says that there are three drain holes, and it takes 13.7 liters? This seems like a lot, but it must be correct. Also, I have just added fluid to it over time, and I may have over filled it because, when I take the dipstick out that is next to the shifter, to check the hydraulic fluid level, fluid pours out. Also, when I lift anything of significance with the three point hitch, fluid comes out from the boot area of the shifter. How often should I change the hydraulic oil, and is it bad to have too much oil in the gear case? Thanks for the help!

Mitch

/ Hydraulic fluid question for my Bolens G154/TX1300F #2  
I suspect that you can blow a seal if you leave it over-filled and run the hydraulics--especially if you really load the system. Use some kind of pump to pull the level down (a cheap turkey baster with some tubing attached will work) and pull that level down. Seems to me that the dipstick should be read with the arms at the lowest point, but don't recall for sure on that. Good luck with it.
I just sold mine, and it was a tough little tractor that had served me quite well.

/ Hydraulic fluid question for my Bolens G154/TX1300F #3  
I just looked in my operators manual for G154 and it says 13 quarts to fill using SAE 80 wt. It does not mention the position of the three point hitch arms. I check mine when it is cold and it will be at the half way point between low and full. When the oil warms up it expands to the full mark. I would not recommend running above the full mark as you may be inviting potential problems.

/ Hydraulic fluid question for my Bolens G154/TX1300F #4  
I had a similar problem when I over filled my MT372, oil spewing from around the boot of the shifter...really messy. I switched to UTF from gear oil because of water in the oil and 3 point seems to like that better.

/ Hydraulic fluid question for my Bolens G154/TX1300F #5  
I'm pretty sure the gearbox uses an oil-spray system onto the gears so overfilling it will probably defeat the purpose of that and cause unnecessary oil churning, foaming and possibly overheating issues.

/ Hydraulic fluid question for my Bolens G154/TX1300F
Thanks,
I took out quite a bit, and it does not leak now..I am going to change it out this week, and then hopefully I can just leave it alone:)

/ Hydraulic fluid question for my Bolens G154/TX1300F #7  
I had a similar problem when I over filled my MT372, oil spewing from around the boot of the shifter...really messy. I switched to UTF from gear oil because of water in the oil and 3 point seems to like that better.

Hi, just had the same problem with my new purchase, gear oil coming up at the base of the shifter. So do I need to drain the oil and put in UTF at this point?

Thanks