Dual wheel adaptors

/ Dual wheel adaptors #1  

Marcle

Silver Member
Herefordshire/Gloucestershire boarders UK
Tractor
Iseki 2140
In a different thread, some guys have been asking about my dual wheel adaptors, so I thought I'd post some photos showing the actual design.
Dscf7681b.jpg

Dscf7682b.jpg

The following is a basic 3D image of the adaptor
wheelspacer01.jpg

View end on
wheelspacer02.jpg

View side on
wheelspacer03.jpg

The adaptors have been made from 70mm (2.75") A/F hex bar, chopped off to 255mm long (10"), then joined with some 6mm (1/4" by 150mm (6") flat stock. The ends of the hex bar have been drilled and tapped to M14. The wheels are already pre-drilled, so after making up the 6 lengths of hex bar, bolt three to a wheel to ensure they're in the correct position. Test the second wheel on other end, but don't fix, put to one side whilst welding in position the 150mm flat stock. Do remember to tack first just incase the welding pulls them out of position.

/ Dual wheel adaptors
Just a thought, the reason for the 150mm flat stock, instead of perhaps some lengths of 25mm flat stock is to prevent any twisting of the adaptor if the outer wheel has more grip than the inner wheel.

I saw a similar idea on a 4x4 than someone had made without the flat stock and the pillars/hex bar just bent over. Basically lack of strength.

/ Dual wheel adaptors #3  
Thanks for posting! looks like its held all right:thumbsup:

/ Dual wheel adaptors
I took the outer wheel off last weekend to fill the tyres with ballast, so managed to get a photo.

I thought the hex sections were solid, however they seem to be hollow hex tubes with end caps welded on.

DSCF7901.JPG

/ Dual wheel adaptors #5  
wow .. that's massive, if those hex sections were solid they would weigh a bit! I don't remember seeing hex sections, solid or hollow.
I checked my wheels and the centre section is flat so this mod could be done at home with just a welder, but I would make the flat sections the same length as the hex .. ha ha

Thanks for that.

/ Dual wheel adaptors #6  
I have the exact same Iseki 2140 with same back hoe as you.
It痴 incredibly unstable.
Is that the reason you fitted duals, and is stability much improved with the duals on?

I値l be looking for a set of 18 duals, or fabricating spaces like your design and looking for a set of 18 rims to save the machine going for a lie down again!

Cheers,
John

/ Dual wheel adaptors
I have the exact same Iseki 2140 with same back hoe as you.
It痴 incredibly unstable.
Is that the reason you fitted duals, and is stability much improved with the duals on?

I値l be looking for a set of 18 duals, or fabricating spaces like your design and looking for a set of 18 rims to save the machine going for a lie down again!

Cheers,
John

I've taken the duallys off as they're a strain on the halfshafts, proven by the fact one of my shafts broke off. I didn't fit the duallys, the previous owner did as he had the tractor fall over. I was somewhat surprised he didn't fit any sort of roll over protection, hey ho.

Are you aware there are two positions for the stabiliser legs? These being vertically like most JCB's and pointing out. By the sound of it, you have yours vertically. Even pointing out slightly its not marvellous, but good enough with a loaded bucket out the side of the machine.

Perhaps you could forward a photo for me to see how your legs are positioned?

What do you mean by '18'? inches or quantities?

Kind regards

Steve

/ Dual wheel adaptors #8  
Hi Steve, mine looked home made, they were pipe with flanges with threaded rod through, looking a bit of a lighter attempt of making the spacer.

What are you doing with your spare set of wheels?

Chris

/ Dual wheel adaptors
Hi Steve, mine looked home made, they were pipe with flanges with threaded rod through, looking a bit of a lighter attempt of making the spacer.

What are you doing with your spare set of wheels?

Chris
Hi Chris,

Whilst I have removed them (for every day use) I've decided to keep them for the odd occasions I need more stability.

Steve