Steps & Seats

/ Steps & Seats #1  

Marcle

Silver Member
Herefordshire/Gloucestershire boarders UK
Tractor
Iseki 2140
These tractors were clearly designed for little people!

Having slipped off the step, grabbing the first thing handy (gear lever) and almost getting squashed by my own tractor lurching forward (thankfully in low box), I thought it was time to sort the inadequate steps out, so here's the result of a couple of hours playing with the sparky gun.
Dscf8067bb.jpg

Dscf8068bb.jpg

When I bought the tractor, the seat was knackered and far too low as my knee's were under my ears and couldn't lift my foot off the clutch properly. So went out and ordered a sprung seat (yea I know its JD colours, but would have had to wait for three weeks for a black one, plus I wanted to show how dirty the seat is... not) which raised it up a sensible height to be able to sit comfortably, but then had to alter the seat support on the back actor to sit far enough back. The seats are now good and comfortable, but the steering wheel is now between my knees... doh.. I am currently machining bits up to raise the steering wheel. When done, I'll post pickies.
DSCF8069.JPG

DSCF8070.JPG

/ Steps & Seats #2  
Good job but...

If I can make a sugestion, do whatever it takes to make those
step rails non skid, maybe cutting in pointy notches?
I use a product called "Grip Strut" for things like this.
Once you use it you run to step on it for you know how
good it works...

/ Steps & Seats
Hi Artisan,

I did consider notching the outside rail, but decided not to for now as I may fit a length of step edging (approx 40mm wide with raised pyramids). Your other suggestion is good, however its soon fill up with mud and not be effective.

Having said all that, I will take on board your comments. I have found it so much easier and safer with the large steps to get on and off, jut need handles now, but I'll look at that after I've built a roll cage.

/ Steps & Seats #4  
Those came out great! Did you have any luck with raising the steering wheel up? I agree that they designed the tractor for someone with a much smaller stature. I just fit mine perfectly, but I am 5'9" and if I was a tiny bit taller, I wouldn't fit. The new seat actually looks pretty comfortable. Is it the suspension type?

/ Steps & Seats
Hi Mitch,

I've got all the bits sorted for the steering extension, but no grub screws, so going to order some in to finish the job off.

Yes the seat is sprung assisted, so far better than original.

/ Steps & Seats #6  
I've learned to get off and on from the left side...more room on that side. Of course it looks like you have a loader which takes up some more room.

/ Steps & Seats
I've learned to get off and on from the left side...more room on that side. Of course it looks like you have a loader which takes up some more room.

With the step extensions, its so much easier to get on and off either side, plus the fact they don't flex is sooo nice. I've not got round to adding any anti slip on the edges, but even with very muddy boots they're far better than the standard steps.

/ Steps & Seats
I finally got round to fitting the steering column extension today.

Just a quick recap first. Basically after doing the above seat modifications, the steering wheel was between my knees, so made it difficult to turn round to see what was going on behind me, let alone steer the tractor with any comfort and ease. So after taking some dimensions I machined up a shaft extension and a support housing as shown below.

Dscf8085s.jpg
Steering wheel removed

Dscf8086s.jpg
Dscf8087s.jpg
Freshly machined parts, also showing nylon bush on the inside of the support housing (not yet drilled for grub screws).

Dscf8132s.jpg
All parts fitted. The housing could do with repainting as I had to put it back in the lathe to shorten it as the wheel was bottoming out on it and the swarf rubbed the paint away.

I did not attempt to add spines to the extension shaft, but machined it to a close tolerance so it had to be lightly tapped in to position. To prevent rotation I drilled the steering wheel and extension to enable grub screws to be fitted with dimples drilled on the male parts to ensure a positive location.

Having now driven the tractor with the raised wheel, I can't believe how much it used to restrict my movements an my ability to see what's behind me. Plus... it gives more room between the seat and wheel to easily get my leg/foot through when getting on and off :)

/ Steps & Seats #9  
That came out great! Thanks for the photos, and the instructions on how you did this! These tractors really were manufactured for people with much smaller body structures in Japan, and they are hard to get on and of of, and I am 5 foot, 7 inches tall, and if I was any taller at all, I would have a really hard time fitting on the tractor. It is very comfortable, and snug for me, however I have thought about putting in a suspension seat, because I get bounced around a lot, and what you did is the way to go! Thanks again, and your tractor looks great, and it looks like it came from the factory like that!

/ Steps & Seats #10  
On my TS1910 I put extensions between the floor boards and the fenders to move the fenders out 2". I used 1"X2" rectangular tubing for this It gives a lot more space in the seat area as well as widening the floorboards for more foot room.