Hurricane Sandy

/ Hurricane Sandy #1  

NHmitch

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bolens G154/IsekiTX1300F
Hi,

Just wanted to touch base with you guys on the East Coast, and New England, and see how you are coming in preparing for Sandy:hypnodisk:. I am hoping that it will die off when it makes landfall, but the weather maps donot look very good, with at least very high winds, and potentially large power outages. I had my tractor out working the past three days straight cutting, and splitting wood, and hauling it to my new wood storage shed I built, so I have it in before the storm, and mainly so I have as many dead trees down before the storm so they do not hit the barn, the house, or any of the vehicles, or trailers. I have a 6000watt generator, and we will see how well it performs if I need it. I have 20 extra gallons of fuel, and 40 gallons of water for my horse barn set aside in containers, and 20 gallons for drinking water, two wells on the property that I can use like it the 1700's if I have to. I also have all of my chain saws ready to go, fresh fuel in the tractor, plenty of medical supplies and food for us, and the farm animals. Plenty of propane for cooking, and lots of batteries, and tarps. I hate to over prepare, but when ever I don't, we loose power for a week, or two, so... I think all of my time deploying to bare bases in nasty hostile countries with the military, has put me in this automatic mode, but hey, better to be safe than sorry.

Anyways, just wanted to see how you guys were coming, since the weather has been so unpredictable lately. Just a week ago, the walls of the building I was in shook from the earthquake, and now a hurricane this late in the season. I guess we did get close to a foot of snow last Halloween. At least it keeps things interesting, and I get more time on the tractor.

Either way, be safe, be careful, and watch out for downed lines around you house, and in the street, and stay far away from them. Happy Halloween!:jack-o-lantern:

/ Hurricane Sandy #2  
1st thing I noticed was a spike in the gasoline prices. It went from $3.23 to $3.49 in less than 24 hours and I expect it to continue climbing as the storm gets closer. I'm in Ohio, not sure how the storm will affect us, just the same I'm filling all the extra fuel cans just in case we need them. I keep threatening to purchase a generator maybe I should use Sandy as a motivator and do it.

/ Hurricane Sandy #3  
Picked up all the outside furniture yesterday. I have extra fuel for the tractor and genny. Always have extra food on hand as we get snowed in quite frequently during winter. Guess I just have to wait now. Hope everyone has an easy storm.
Stay safe!

/ Hurricane Sandy #4  
I've been keeping my eyes & ears on the news per up-coming Sandy. My hopes for the best are always with you Guys n Gals. I know that most are always prepared, but this bugger is sounding like the God-father of them all! I do hope it turns out to be a normal storm, but, it's always best to be prepared for & expect the worst...I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. I do hope it turns out to be A-Ok after all. My Best Wishes to the East Coasters. Greg

/ Hurricane Sandy #5  
I've been keeping my eyes & ears on the news per up-coming Sandy. My hopes for the best are always with you Guys n Gals. I know that most are always prepared, but this bugger is sounding like the God-father of them all! I do hope it turns out to be a normal storm, but, it's always best to be prepared for & expect the worst...I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. I do hope it turns out to be A-Ok after all. My Best Wishes to the East Coasters. Greg
Yes a scary sounding storm. Well put.

/ Hurricane Sandy #6  
Hi Mitch,

Pretty much the same here - all outside furniture in, did leaf cleanup yesterday, got 15 gal gas for generator, tractor is near full, and chainsaws ready.

My wife got all the clothes washed and dryed, made two casseroles, and 5 quarts of tomato pasta sauce so we have a week or so of food and two days of gas for the genney before we need to get out for more.

It's supposed to be worse west in NH and VT than here - sort of like Irene but one never knows about these storms - its been misting and 10-15 mph winds out of the norhteast most of the day here on the coast

/ Hurricane Sandy #7  
1st thing I noticed was a spike in the gasoline prices. It went from $3.23 to $3.49 in less than 24 hours and I expect it to continue climbing as the storm gets closer. I'm in Ohio, not sure how the storm will affect us, just the same I'm filling all the extra fuel cans just in case we need them. I keep threatening to purchase a generator maybe I should use Sandy as a motivator and do it.

Not to switch topics here....... but we have not seen those prices in at least a year. We are down to $3.79 lately, after I spent over 36 bucks for 2-5 gal cans of gas for the genny!

/ Hurricane Sandy #8  
Rusty,

We have had a drop here - filled up two weeks ago at Irving @ $3.67 then yesterday paid $3.56 to fill the truck and cans Filled the genney tonight and will pick up 7 gallons more tomorrow so will have 3 days instead of two in reserve.

Ohio and NJ always have the lowest gas prices partly due to tax and partly due to location. I travel a lot - to south and midwest and by far we pay higher prices here on average (after CA) - Ohio is one of the lowest usually that I see in my travels.

/ Hurricane Sandy #10  
most of our area has 5-7 inches of rain predicted, over multiple days. And with wind gusts predicted in the 60-70mph range, a lot of trees are going to come down. We live near the Delaware river north of Philadelphia and a local creek, the Neshaminy, always floods like crazy. I expect if I have to go out tomorrow, which I'm trying to avoid, it will mean driving all over the neighborhood trying to find a passable bridge to "get to the other side".
Funny how everyone was driving 5-10 mph faster today, even on a Sunday. Seems to be a mild panic in the air. My friend in Milton DE saw sandbagging start two days ago, a sure sign of things to come. He lives up high, which in DE is kinda relative..., which is comforting for him. I went to get another five gallons of diesel for the tractor and could hardly get to the diesel pump today, the place was mobbed. We have a 20kw Generac and usually wind up having the neighbors in for a hurricane party, making the best of things. Problem is I'm an ex fireman and people know I have a good chainsaw...which is now full and ready to go. Just waiting for my neighbors pine tree to take out my nice wooden fence. Not much
one can do but clean up the mess and try to stay safe. And off the road, cutting down on the looky-lou's really helps the local emergency workers.