Info required for TL2501

/ Info required for TL2501 #1  

Truck2005

Tractor
Mahindra 5035 Cub Cadet Lt1042 Nuffield 10/42
Hi, I have one of these and think it may be an import here in Australia, it has a lot of chinese writing on it and some English.. Anyway I dont know what type of oil to run the gearbox / rear end plus I cant for the life of me find an air filter to suit it.
Any help appreciated thanks ! Dick
Air filter is: OD to case 83mm
OD to plastic fins 110mm
ID 45mm
length 245mm

/ Info required for TL2501
A few more questions: While going over it on the weekend I noticed a small lever on right side of steering column and since its in chinese I cant work out what it does ? It operates a cable going into the rear end near draft controls somewhere ..
Also on the front axle there is a vertical breather, is the front axle supposed to have an oil level of sorts ?
Thanks

Last edited:
   / Info required for TL2501 #3  
Nobody else has suggested anything, so I will throw out some uninformed opinions.

Every Japanese machine I have ever seen (I own ten) uses some variant of JD303 or International Hy-Tran in the gearbox, which usually serves as the hydraulic reservoir. A couple Mitsubishi machines have separate reservoirs for the differential, and the transmission serves as the hydraulic system reservoir.

Most any hydraulic fluid will work in the simple, straight gear drive machines. Any tractor dealer should have a product labeled "Universal Tractor Fluid" or some such.

The front axle requires lubricant. I run gear oil in mine, but many machines come from the factory filled with the same hydraulic fluid as in their transmissions. There is possibly a drain on each end of the axle.

The trick to all these lubricants is that they are all about the same viscosity when warmed to their recommended operating temperature. I think the additive package in a dedicated gear oil is advantageous, but it also is much more important that the machine have any lubricant as opposed to none or only a tiny amount of the perfect substance.

I don't have a clue on the cable from the dashboard. Many of these machines had extremely complex controls for their factory-mated rototillers, able to control the depth, pitch, tilt, and other factors to optimize performance in the rice paddies.

Can you take some photographs?

The air filter sounds like the standard cartridge type. Take it to a good parts store or tractor dealer. They will be able to match it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response ! Yes I will take some pics. I have looked at the universal tractor oils but they dont appear (over here) to be like the gear oil thats currently in it. Cant mistake the smell ! I will keep looking..
The front axle is weird, as there are no fill, drain or level plugs. Just this breather on a short extension. Maybe its lubed from rear, as its a contained driveshaft. I will get some pics up..
I have tried every local filter person here, no can do ! Found one in UK I think..

/ Info required for TL2501 #5  
The universal tractor fluid doesn't smell like gear oil.

I don't think the axle lubricant is common with the transmission. Post some pictures and we will see what we can do to help.

/ Info required for TL2501 #6  
Iseki recommended 80/90 gear oil in some transmissions & Universal in others. In a cold climate with a loader I'd use the Universal.
Im assoming you have a 4wd. The breather is where you fill it with gear oil. It should be half way up the axle shaft.
I can supply manuals, parts, & filters.

Iseki recommended 80/90 gear oil in some transmissions & Universal in others. In a cold climate with a loader I'd use the Universal.
Im assoming you have a 4wd. The breather is where you fill it with gear oil. It should be half way up the axle shaft.
I can supply manuals, parts, & filters.

Thanks, yes its 4wd. I am not in cold climate, in our short winter it may get to 5 deg c now and again. Mid to high 30 deg c right now. (we are right on tropic of capricorn)
The oil in the rear end right now appears and smells like gear oil, so it would be a safe bet to replace with 80w90 GL4 by the sounds of it ? Would there be an issue using a universal ?
if you have any sort of manual for it please let me know and I will arrange purchase.
I can see no way to drain the front axle ? unless I remove a diff mounting nut/stud maybe. There are no plugs anywhere. Each front wheel drive drop hub has a fill and drain, no issues there. I assume these are seperate to the axle reservoir ?
regards
Dick

/ Info required for TL2501 #8  
[snip] ...but it also is much more important that the machine have any lubricant as opposed to none or only a tiny amount of the perfect substance.

Amen. I know there is a lot of science in lubricants, but I've never heard of anything failing due to the oil as long as it's uncontaminated, even if it's not *exactly* what was called out by the manufacturer. Granted, I wouldn't pour kerosene "oil" in a transmission and expect good long-term results (or even short-term), but I wouldn't be opposed to a 30W motor oil going in if that's all I had to get me by for a while. I did accidently put 90W gear oil in the steering box which I found out later calls for 140W. Maybe that will end up being a problem down the road, but it turns a lot easier with the lighter oil in it. I can't see changing it out to 140W at this point.

/ Info required for TL2501 #9  
I used 90W in my transmission for about two years, and not one issue with it. I replaced it recently with multi purpose tractor fluid, and it seems to like that a bit better, however my three point is slower when its cold, which is all the time lately. We have been down around -5 F at night and the tractor starts right up, with the glow plugs, and the lift takes about 5 minutes of use to warm up.

I actually have not checked the oil in my steering box, and I am going to make that a priority, since somehow I have always forgotten about it. I know that there is a bolt on top of the steering box, when I open it, where should the oil level be at? and is that how you check the oil level for the steering box? Thanks!!

/ Info required for TL2501 #10  
I would guess that if you see any oil level in it at all you're fine unless your seals are leaking. If they do leak, you may want to add some. I think mine was pretty close to being full when I first took it apart. Generally you don't want to fill it completely full unless the manual calls that out. Usually the fill amount can be a gray area though. Seems like about half the volume of the box is usually about right when in doubt.