G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt
I found something else interesting, and I am not sure if anyone has ever heard of them. It is an oil plug drain valve, to make oil changes fast. The only concern I guess I would have is getting it caught on something under the tractor:

F 108N Size 18mm 1 5 Fumoto Quick Oil Drain Valve | eBay

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #13  
I see two things wrong with the valve. One, is as you were concerned something catching the lever and draining your oil and 2nd the drain plug on the tractor is a large diameter for a reason, when you remove the plug the oil drains fast and it creates a scouring action and it drags all the debris in the bottom of the pan with it where as that valve has a small hole so the oil will drain slowly and a lot of debris will just stay in the bottom of the pan. That is why a Cummins diesel engine has such a large plug and when 15 gallons starts moving you better be prepared.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #14  
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum. I have somewhat of a related question. I'm doing my first oil change on a used D1800 I just bought a couple weeks ago. The oil looks very dirty so it needs it badly. I got the filter and oil ready to go, but I cannot get the oil pan plug off for the life of me. It will not budge. I am using a 3/4 inch socket and now I'm learning that plug is probably metric so that might be the problem but the regular socket fits well enough that it seems like it would work. I am turning this bolt as hard and I possibly can, and applying WD40 to the seams several times as well. Any clues as to how to get this thing off so I drain the oil?
Thanks,
Craig

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #15  
Is the socket slipping on the bolt or is the oil drain bolt just really stuck in the pan?

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #16  
Is the socket slipping on the bolt or is the oil drain bolt just really stuck in the pan?
It doesn't slip when I turn it, but I can tell that the socket doesn't sit 100% flat on the bolt. It slightly moves and even gets stuck when I go to take the socket head off of the bolt when I'm done trying. I am going to get a 19mm metric socket and see if that works. If it doesn't I have no idea what to try next.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #17  
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum. I have somewhat of a related question. I'm doing my first oil change on a used D1800 I just bought a couple weeks ago. The oil looks very dirty so it needs it badly. I got the filter and oil ready to go, but I cannot get the oil pan plug off for the life of me. It will not budge. I am using a 3/4 inch socket and now I'm learning that plug is probably metric so that might be the problem but the regular socket fits well enough that it seems like it would work. I am turning this bolt as hard and I possibly can, and applying WD40 to the seams several times as well. Any clues as to how to get this thing off so I drain the oil?
Thanks,
Craig

This is a common problem. When you get to the point of replacing it - whether with new or the old you only need to snug it up with a 3/8" drive ratchet. People tend you over tighten (actually they tend to be easy to tighten vs. taking them off) these as you are learning. Just make sure you have a sealing washer installed and it won't leak. Also make sure you are using a 6-pt socket and not 12 to remove it this time. If you're to the point you'll think you'll strip the head or break it off, then the only thing I think I'd do is to try and put some heat with a torch around the threaded hole in the pan and try to remove it. Ideally this would be a two-person job with one keeping torque on the bolt and another heating the oil pan around the socket until it gives - if it will. Be carefull not to put too much heat and begin to carbonize the oil inside otherwise you'll create other problems. I would think just a few seconds of heating should help alot.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #18  
You need to turn the maximum about based on feel and that will be hard for you to do because you have no experience. I suppose you could damage the pan and you don't want to do that. Make sure you're turning the right way and lots of smart people get confused when looking upside down. Be sure because that could be what's going on and is my first choice.

It ought to come loose if going the right way. If not you might need to heat the bolt but I have never had to do that and would be careful. Really, it should come loose. If you are going the right way and the right size socket is not working and you have no other choice, I would load it on a trailer and take to a garage.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #19  
Six dogs is correct, but I would recommend not heating the bolt. Heat the threaded part of the oil pan. You want the internal threads to expand and the bolt to maintain its "cold size" as much as possible to begin to open the clearance between the two.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #20  
Six dogs is correct, but I would recommend not heating the bolt. Heat the threaded part of the oil pan. You want the internal threads to expand and the bolt to maintain its "cold size" as much as possible to begin to open the clearance between the two.

Wow, excellent point...duh...what was I thinking? Heat around it. Good catch here.
Really, it should come loose without the heat. Get that six point socket.