G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #1  

NHmitch

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bolens G154/IsekiTX1300F
Hi,

My oil drain plug is very worn, and I want to replace it, and the gasket is also missing, but the issue that I am having is that the parts is just about non-existant. The bolt is available for $30. Crazy high price for one bolt, and I figured that I can replace it by matching it. I figure it is probably metric? The question I have is what material is the gasket made out of? Mine is missing, and I found the part number, and I cannot locate the gasket, or what it is made of. I figured it is probably brass, or metal, as opposed to rubber? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Happy New Year!
295507d1356926782-g154-tx1300f-oil-drain-pan-drain-plug.jpg

drain plug.jpg

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #2  
My gasket was missing too - I just substituted a copper washer (which I replace each time I change the oil ).

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #3  
If you have an Ace Hardware store I believe they have metric oil pan bolts - one that will fit your engine. They have a surprising selection of oddities I find myself going there for. Price will not be cheap, but won't be $30. I think more around $5-7. They should have the gaskets too but I'm not positive.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #4  
I bought a replacement drain bolt from a local NAPA for my incredibly obscure Mitsubishi D1800. They were kind enough to let me go through their bins of drain plugs until I found one that was a "good enough" fit. It came with a copper crush washer and a magnet on the tip of the bolt for something like $7.

I could have replaced it with a regular metric bolt, but the difference was only a couple of dollars, and the regular bolts of that diameter do not usually come in shorter lengths. It wouldn't hurt anything for it to be a littler long, though. The crush washers are probably the same as any number of cars. I'd start with Japanese cars from the 1970s to mid '80s. I think one of the dozens of vehicles mine cross-referenced to was a Datsun 210. Parts like alternators/generators, starter solenoids, and other components are commonly found to be interchangeable between the compact tractors and imported cars from this period.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #5  
I have bought a plug from Advance or Autozone. Same one used in many cars. They also sell an assortment of plug gaskets, both copper and plastic.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #6  
I have a TX1500F, a Bolens G-174, I am going to change the engine oil tomorrow. I will measure the diameter of the plug and also get you a thread count.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt
Thank you guys so much for the help! I just received a new clutch in the mail, and after I fix the oil plug, and the clutch, I hope to get another 30 years out of this great little tractor. I really appreciate everyone's input!

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #8  
If your drain plug is worn on the outside, meaning the edges are rounded off, you can simply weld a nut onto it. I did that and used the original pan bolt. now my mower is 3/4" rather than an odd metric wrench I usually struggle to find.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #9  
The engine oil drain plug on my TX1500F (2 cylinder) is 18 mm diameter by 1.50 threads per mm by 15 mm long. The drain bolt head requires a 19mm wrench.

/ G154/TX1300F Oil Drain Pan Plug/Bolt #10  
Hmmm... 19mm is very close to 3/4" (0.748" vs. 0.75"). A 3/4" wrench should work well.