Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #1  

dantnz

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TX1500 & TX1300F
Just had a nightmare day! Tractor stuck in a bog and now no drive to the wheel either! Drove over the area loads of times and was fine, then maybe one too many times and it just dug itself right it. Anyway its stuck good and even worse while trying to dig and drive it out, lost all drive to both wheels, first left and then right - so its going to be a real saga to sort this out. Will have to wait to the ground dries out, pull it out and then try and figure out what is wrong with it.

If anyone has had this problem before then I'd love to hear about it, could save me a lot of time. Here are more details.

I've been having a little bit of trouble for a while with the diff lock not releasing, but not too bad. Today after I got stuck I lost drive in the left rear wheel first, seemed to be a bit of a bang before it happened, the same as with the diff lock releases sometimes. In fact I thought that it was just that the diff lock had released, but it wouldn't go back in. After a few more tries to get it out the rear right wheel stopped too after a similar noise. The PTO is still working, so the clutch and drive from the engine is still working.

Anyone got any ideas?

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #2  
Hopefully you have been able to pull it out of the mud. Double check the gear selectors, perhaps the L/H lever is not all the way in position. My TS1610 has a L M H lever. Sometimes I don't get that lever completely into gear. Try changing from L to H. Try changing gears with the main gear selector.

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #3  
So it is pretty small at about 1200 lbs (plus implements).

If you can get good traction, it should be easy enough to pull out. Do you have a winch on any of your vehicles? Or know someone that does? A neighbor with a larger tractor?

Is it 4x4? So the front still drives?

Still with possible broken stuff in the transmission, you probably don't want to be running it under its own power, and may want to trailer it if you have very far to move it.

You won't really know what happened until you get it into the workship and some of the mud washed off.

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels
Thanks for the suggestions gents.

Rich - Tried all that, but unfortunately no drive in H/L or in any gear. Will try it all again once I have it out of the mud though, just in case.

Clifford - 2wd drive version unfortunately. That's a good point about trailering it to my workshop, might save some more damage.

The ground is too wet right now to get good traction to pull or winch (winch just pulls the 4x4 to the tractor!). Drying out fast though and should have enough traction by tomorrow. I'va acquired a 2 (metric) tonne tirfor (manual cable winch) which I'll anchor to a tree and see if I can just get it unstuck before doing the rest with the 4x4, will give me more control anyway. I have a neighbour with a big John Deere as a last resort, but shouldn't need it with dry ground.

I hoping this will be something simple, but won't know until I can get into the rear transaxle box and poke around. If anyone has a good drawing with labels of that (Mitch?) then I'd be grateful.

Will get some pictures tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about.

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #5  
HI,

Thats too bad about your tractor!! As soon as I can get to my laptop, I will post the diagram for you. I had a similar problem with mine, and it turned out to be a simple fix. I was driving my tractor through snow, and I stopped, and then it would not drive in any gear except with the two front wheels in 4WD. I was perplexed as to what it could have been, and it turned out that the axel has a single bolt that holds the tire on. Mine had sheered off, and the axel was free spinning in the tire hube when I would move the throttle forward to accelerate. It sounds obvious, but I did not notice that the bolt had sheared unit after I moved the tractor with the front wheels, and saw the top of the broken bolt. Hopefully it is something simple like that. I also had a pin fall out one time where the clutch pedal attaches below the tractor. I was unable to drive when that happened as well, however that was more obvious because the clutch pedal went right to the floor. I would check the bolt that holds the axel in place. I hope that it is nothing serious! I will post the diagram as soon as I can....

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #6  
I forgot to mention that the primary drive wheel is the left side, so if you can get on the tractor, put it in gear, and increase the throttle, you should be able to see the center of the axel protruding through the center of the wheel hub, and if this is the issue, you will see it free spinning. The other thought that I had is that your clutch disk may be frozen. They designed these with a latch that holds the clutch pedel in place due to the very wet conditions that they were designed to operate, in Japan. There is a clutch "port" above the oil dipstick on the right side of tractor. It is a round plastic/rubber cover that pops off, and you can visually inspect the clutch.

Hi Mitch,

Pulled the tractor out tonight, but ran out of light to get it back to the barn and washed down. Took some pulling to get it out, full two tonne pull didn't do it, so had to do a whole lot of digging and loosening up the mud to get it to pull free, quite amazing how stick deep mud is.

haven't been able to inspect anything yet, it is not the wheel centre pins though, they are still there. Not the clutch as far as can tell so far, plenty of power going to the PTO. The strange thing is the lack of noise from the gearbox or transaxle, I would have expected some grinding noise if the splines or a shaft had sheared - my suspicion is that it is something to do with the diff lock as it had been acting up, but I'm not sure without drawings or pulling it apart whether its even possible for it to disengage both sides of the axle. If I'm really lucky, once the 1/2 tonne of mud comes off it could free something up, but I just can't think of anything that could be affected in this way - there is always hope though!

Will update once its clean! Dan

Photo of the tractor just before I pulled it out - you can see the force of the pull actually bent the front weight rack!

2013-03-27 18.08.58.jpg

Quick update. Still trying to figure out what has gone wrong, want to be absolutely sure it isn't some thing that can be fixed externally - before I pull the back end apart.

I can get drive through the right wheel with the diff lock on, and some times get drive through the right wheel with it off, but weak. No drive through the left wheel so far. Got to do some urgent jobs then will take another look tonight.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks, Dan

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #10  
Do you have the back of the tractor off the ground on jack stands or blocks or something. With back wheels off the ground and tractor running.
Have you tried putting tractor in 1st or 2nd gear and let clutch
out/engage and let rear wheels spin.
With out the diff lock engaged only one wheel is going to spin. That one
wheel that is going to spin is going to be the one with the least resistance.
While doing this apply just the right brake until it stops and at this point
the left wheel should now spin. Now release the right brake and apply
the left brake and the right wheel should now spin.
Now with the throttle set low what happens if you apply both
brakes at the same time?