Iseki TX1300 KE75 engine swap

/ Iseki TX1300 KE75 engine swap #1  

Ilikeurtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Iseki TX1300F/TX1500/ TX2160F/TS2220F/ Satoh S370D/S373D
Looks like the weather is going to cooperate here this weekend so I'm going to push forward with a KE70 to KE75 engine swap. I plan on having it finished up by the end of next weekend. I'm not documenting every step, just a few snapshots. The biggest problem I had so far was splitting the TX1500 - the "donor" machine which is the Bolens G172 picture. It was my first split and the clutch was siezed to the spline on the transmission. I did a lot of head-scratching before popping the plug off the clutch hosing, removing the bolts to the flywheel and splitting the tractor with the clutch retained in the clutch housing. Fortunately the Iseki TX1300 slid right apart like it was supposed to but I still have it together until I get the KE75 ready. I ended up destroying the clutch disk removing it from the clutch housing using a puller, torch, and hammer.

I put a thermostat housing on the KE75 from another engine. This caused some interference issues with the fuel injection lines. I just bent them around the housing. Also installed a 400W block heater which can be seen where the starter goes (yes the starter still fits but barely after putting in the heater.) The freeze plug there is 40mm in diameter for those wanting to add one. I believe mine is a Kats off Amazon.

Checked the valve clearnance and had the injector nozzles pop-tested. The KE75 is a good runner and doesn't need anything else at the moment. Will update as I progress. This is a continuation from this thread:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/iseki/215350-ke70-engine-low-power.html

Attachments

• TX1500 donor.jpg
    TX1500 donor.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 1,947
  • Iseki TX1300-1500.jpg
    Iseki TX1300-1500.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 1,836
  • KE75.jpg
    KE75.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,701
   / Iseki TX1300 KE75 engine swap
Engine painted Iseki gray and ready to begin swap...

Attachments

• KE75 new paint.jpg
    KE75 new paint.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 4,994
   / Iseki TX1300 KE75 engine swap #3  
That looks incredible! It should be a great swap! I like the collection you have of Bolens/Iseki's in the background too.. Is there a difference in the length of the two engines?

Thanks Mitch. The engines are identical on the outside the best I can tell. I'll find out for sure real soon though :) One of the tractors you see in the background (albeit just the front right tire) is a Satoh S373D or "Beaver III". It has the Mitsubishi K3A engine. That machine was on its last leg when I got it - borderline qualified for the junkyard. The engine ran good though. Four gears in the tranny were toast and one front final drive case was shattered. I knew there was at least one bad gear in the tranny but didn't suspect anything with the front until I got in it to change the seals. The Satoh tractors of this size and time period are very similar to the Isekis but only the engines are identical.

Here are a couple posts discussing mine at times if interested:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mitsubishi-satoh/244988-beaver-re-do.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mitsubishi-satoh/256241-beaver-re-do.html

/ Iseki TX1300 KE75 engine swap #5  
Thanks! I will have to read those. I was looking online last night at the Satoh's. and the Suzue Tractors that all have the KE70, and KE75 engine. The designs all look fairly close, and they share very close ideas. There must not have been very strong patent laws in Japan in the 70's-80's. I was recently able to buy Kubota rims that were a perfect fit, and identical except that they extend out two inches farther, actually giving me more stability. The rims were new, but were intended for a small Kubota from the same era. They must have interchanged parts from the same factories. Do you have a running Beaver? I recently saw an article on a Satoh Stallion. I found a great history of those tractors, and it has a key to decode the serial number. Thanks for the links!

http://www.pittauto.com/customer/piauel/pdf/mitsubishi/MITSUBISHI_SATOH_HISTORY_REV_1.pdf

Thanks! There must not have been very strong patent laws in Japan in the 70's-80's. I was recently able to buy Kubota rims that were a perfect fit, and identical except that they extend out two inches farther, actually giving me more stability. The rims were new, but were intended for a small Kubota from the same era. They must have interchanged parts from the same factories. Do you have a running Beaver? I recently saw an article on a Satoh Stallion. I found a great history of those tractors, and it has a key to decode the serial number. Thanks for the links!

You're welcome. All the 16" rear rims seem to have the same bolt pattern. Front rims are a mixed bag. Even the front rims from the G172 I have won't fit the 4wd tractors but then, as you mentioned, some cross easily. The tractors from this era seem to be different enough that patent concerns I doubt would have been an issue even in the US. In one of the links I posted above it shows the Beaver 98% finished, and it is currently usable. It seems to be a great machine. I like my TX2160F a little better though. Iseki seemed to have a better front PTO, at least in my opinion. I'm not that familiar with the Satoh front PTOs but I think they had magnetic clutches and I don't see many around anymore.

Almost done. Just need to install the front drive shaft. Will get that during the week sometime. Oddly enough the horn doesn't work of all things now. I did have to modify (shorten) the discharge hose going into the top of the radiator to account for the thermostat housing change and also the left side engine guard brace does not attach because of some adding piping for the temp gauge and recirc line. The hose mod is not pretty but appears to work. Everything else was identical. I apologize for the crappy looking intake filter housing. I didn't have time to clean it up.

The G172 now has the KE70 engine. I'll try to finish that next weekend so it at least will move under its own power (albiet weakly).

Had to shoot a pic of the farmall too :)

Now I just need to get some "TX1500" stickers for the side ;)

Attachments

• Bolens G172 KE70.jpg
    Bolens G172 KE70.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 3,389
  • Isek TX1300 KE75 left.jpg
    Isek TX1300 KE75 left.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 1,761
  • Isek TX1300 KE75 right B.jpg
    Isek TX1300 KE75 right B.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 2,618
  • Isek TX1300 KE75 right.jpg
    Isek TX1300 KE75 right.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 720
  • Iskei TX1300 KE75.jpg
    Iskei TX1300 KE75.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 1,675
   / Iseki TX1300 KE75 engine swap #9  
That looks great! It looks like you made great progress! Where did you find the manifold for the vertical exhaust? I am going to have to change my exhaust eventually, and that would be so much easier to find an exhaust. The only OEM exhaust that I have been able to find is in Europe, and is very expensive! I do know where they have the TX1500 decals.. Hood Decal

I didn't know that you have a G244 too..well, and a farmall:)

Thanks. It was a long weekend. The exhaust manifold came with the tractor. I looked around before for another but couldn't find one. Looks like the horizontal mufflers come with their own built-in manifold with separate pipes so it makes it kind of difficult to go vertical.

The G244 is in pretty good shape. It does need a PTO gear or two and some wiring work. Then paint. It's the first diesel that I ran into where it will start w/o glow plugs in the summer from a cold condition relatively easily. The starter seems to turn very slowly so I'm surprised it actually starts as well as it does. The oil seems to stay clean longer than my others too. It shows around 1300 hours on a working hour meter.

The farmall runs well too - very quiet and starts every time :)

Thanks for the decal links. I'll probably leave it for now though. At my elevation, the KE75 won't even develop the same power as a KE70 at sea level so the current decals are closer to reality. It would be fun to turbo one of these tractors but other priorities will keep me from that. Maybe some day...

Last edited: