2160 wont start :(

/ 2160 wont start :( #1  

Millsi

Bronze Member
Tractor
Iseki TX2160f, 196X Ford 3000 Select-O-Speed
Over the last month my 2160 has progressively been getting harder to start when cold. Starts and runs fine when warm. Yesterday it wouldnt start at all, tried glowing it for 60 sec but no difference? Hooked it up to the car battery and it turned over faster but still wouldnt fire even after glowing it.
If the glow plug resistor is glowing does that mean all glow plugs are functioning or could there be a problem with one or more?
The smoke coming out when trying to start is a pretty normal colour.
Also tried using aerostart but made no difference
Where to start?

/ 2160 wont start :( #2  
Do the usual, check the fuel supply, check amps the glow plugs are drawing and consider checking compression.:)

/ 2160 wont start :( #3  
When you say the smoke is "normal" when starting what do you consider normal? If the smoke is black then you're getting enough heat for combustion. If white, you're not. If somewhere in between (light gray to dark gray) then it's probably not getting enough heat for ideal combustion (ring/valve/glow plug problem usually). As Egon stated the best way to check glow plugs is amp draw. My 2160 pulls about 45 to50 amps when all plugs are working correctly or about 15 amps each. Another quick way to check if you only have a general multimeter is check the resistance across each plug (disconnect the wires to all of them first). It should be about one ohm each. Again, amp readings are better though.

/ 2160 wont start :(
Smoke is brown/black.
Took the air cleaner off but it made no difference

/ 2160 wont start :( #6  
What is your fuel lever set at when trying to start? At full fuel setting it should be putting out a lot of smoke. If the air supply is not restricted then the next step is a difficult one (fuel+air+ignition usually equates to a running engine or at least a fire somewhere). Generally timing does not enter into the equation on diesels unless someone was messing with it.

/ 2160 wont start :( #7  
From my experience usually if one glow plugs stops working ,that usually leads the operator to glow too long and burns out the others . my first suggestion is to make sure you have a good supply of fuel to the pump. In 70 degree weather ,it should not need to be glowed to start the engine . Check the air cleaner then be sure it`s getting air . then make sure nobody put something in the exhaust pipe. Set the throttle and give it a try . Ultimately it should start if it turns over fast enough . Let us know if you get any results .

/ 2160 wont start :(
It goes closer to starting on full throttle, so pulled the fuel filter out. was very dirty (hard to tell looking through the old plastic bowl)
Disnt have a spare filter laying around so tried without the filter as the tank look clean inside. Still no go.
Maybe some crap has gotten past the filter and block an injector or 2 or maybe something internally in the fuel pump??

/ 2160 wont start :( #9  
Don`t run the engine without filters , can cause untold damage . I am still thinking it is a fuel related problem . I would drain all fuel and put new fuel in it . If by some fluke someonr put some gas in it ,it would cause your symptoms . My dad did that to mine once . I replaced the fuel and bled the fuel lines , solved my problem. Just saying

/ 2160 wont start :( #10  
My final suggestion is to put it inside for a day to warm up . Then try to start it . It should start , without the glow plugs . that should tell you if they ar working too .