Iseki tx2140f bad sound

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound #1  

OJ Norway

Tractor
Iseki TX2140f
Hello folks
When i tried to drive with 4 weeldrive the other day, i noticed a bad sound. It is not there when i disable 4 wherldrive. Anyone know what it can be? Where to start looking?

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound #2  
need more info and maybe a few pictures from under the front of tractor.

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound #3  
Does it sound like something is grinding or is the noise more of a whine?

To isolate the problem, as fxrs55 suggested, a little bit more information would help. You could also lift the front of the tractor off the ground and see if the wheels are loose, if there seems to be any drag or friction when turning the wheels, or if anything else seems abnormal.

I have an exchange student from Tromsø. She would say something like "Hei til mine venner hjemme!"

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound
Hello folks and thanks for replies. I think it was more like a grinding noise. Just disabled the 4wd at once. Went and had a quick look in the servicebook, and almost start crying when i saw all the parts inside the front axle. Is there a easy way to determine if it comes from the transmission case or the front gear case without a lot of secondary damage to other parts?

And a big HEI to your student from the isle of tromsø :)

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound #5  
...Is there a easy way to determine if it comes from the transmission case or the front gear case without a lot of secondary damage to other parts?

Depends on what you define as "easy" but you could remove the front drive shaft and put it in 4wd and see what happens. First I'd jack it up and check each wheel rotation (forward and back) as suggested previously. Make sure too that it is fully in 4wd and not partially as that could possibly cause grinding. Check the oil levels in the front axle too while you're at it to elimate that issue.

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound #6  
I have a parts manual for the TX2160. It shows a female splined U-joint connection on each end, retained by roll pins. I do not know if it is the same as your TX2140, but imagine it is very similar. Some tractors use a CV-joint with balls that can fall out or become worn, and disables the front drive and generates an awful grinding/popping sound.

If you lift the front axle and spin one tire, the other should rotate the opposite direction. Check for grinding etc. The driveshaft will not spin.

Then, with the tractor in 2 wheel drive, turn both front tires in the same direction. You should be able to hear the driveshaft spinning inside its cover. Listen for grinding.

Here is my thought: The parts manual for the 2160 shows that the front drive is engaged by sliding a gear forward along a shaft to engage the front axle drive, so the shaft will spin freely, driven by the front wheels. If the 4 wheel drive is disengaged and it makes noise, the problem is outside the transmission, in the driveshaft or axle. If engaging 4 wheel drive causes the sound, the trouble must be in the gear system in the transmission. Trying the tests above may help isolate the area of trouble if you aren't able to drive the tractor.

Good luck!

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound #7  
Drain the front differential and see if the oil is discolored of it chunks of steel come out.

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound #9  
Have you had any luck yet with the sound? I know the sinking feeling. I had the same feeling when I dropped the tree on mine, knowing how hard parts are to find, but it is fixed like new again. I hope that it is nothing major! I still have the service manual if you need any pages from it. Sorry again to hear about the noise!

/ Iseki tx2140f bad sound
hi there Mitch, long time
A lot at work, snow is falling, so no quality time with my little baby yet. But i just heard the sound when the tracktor was i 2 WD. Think one of the frontwheel got stuck when it happened. Guess i have to take apart the front axle. I have cleaned up the garage for the winter, so as soon as i find some time you guys will get a status update :)
Will anyway get a possibility to do a better paintjob on parts if i take them off. Have to look at the bright side of life

OJ